From the ancient and picturesque Italian region of Venice
emerged a variety of distinguished names, including the notable surname Battaglia which was derived from the Italian word "Battaglia," or "battle." This surname was a nickname
for a warrior or professional private soldier, which then became a surname. There are also places named Battalgia, and no doubt the surname also arose describing one who came from one of these places. There are villages named Battaglia in Udine, Padova, Teramo, Trapani, and Salerno amongst other regions.
Early Origins of the Battaglia family
The surname Battaglia was first found in the northern half of Italy with major families of the name being recorded in Venice
and the Veneto region, Bologna, Rimini, and Pisa from the 13th century.
Early History of the Battaglia family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Battaglia research.Another 25 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1748, 1532, 1643, 1717, 1772 and 1870 are included under the topic Early Battaglia History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Battaglia Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Battaggia, Battàia, Bataia, Battàggia, Battàglia, Battagliarin, Battagliarini, Battagliese, Battaglini, Battaglioli, Battaini, Battaino and many more.
Early Notables of the Battaglia family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Girolamo Battaglia, a distinguished soldier in the military in the second half of the 15th century; Francesco Battaglia, an architect born... Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Battaglia Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Battaglia family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Battaglia Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Battaglia who arrived in Philadelphia in 1864
- Angelo Battaglia, who arrived in New York on July 25, 1883 aboard the "Archimede" from Palermo
- Fortunato Battaglia, who arrived in New York in 1884
- Salvatore Battaglia, who arrived at New York on Feb. 8, 1886 en route to New Orleans aboard the "Independente"
- Franc Battaglia, who arrived in New York in 1887
Battaglia Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agata Battaglia, aged 26, who settled in America from Palermo, Italy, in 1904
- Alfonso Battaglia, aged 26, who landed in America from Palermo, Italy, in 1908
- Agostino Battaglia, aged 21, who landed in America from Palermo, Italy, in 1910
- Adda Dina Battaglia, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Cento, Italy, in 1911
- Alessandra Battaglia, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States from Caltavuturo, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Battaglia (post 1700)
- David Peter Battaglia (1931-2017), American educator and politician, member of the Minnesota House of Representatives (1977–1995)
- Carl F. "Skip" Battaglia (b. 1948), American experimental filmmaker and animator
- Salvatore Joseph "Teets" Battaglia (1908-1973), infamous Chicago mobster, high-level member of the Chicago Outfit criminal organization
- Kaci Lyn Battaglia (b. 1987), also known as Kaci, an American singer, songwriter, dancer, actress, and professional kickboxing instructor
- Frank Battaglia, American policeman, Baltimore Police Department Commissioner (1981-1984)
- Anthony Battaglia (b. 1979), American professional ice hockey player
- Timothy Joseph Battaglia, American lawyer in Illinois
- Dr. Francine Battaglia, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Iowa State University
- Johathan "Bates" Battaglia (b. 1975), American former professional NHL ice hockey player who played from 1997 to 2012
- Matteo Martin "Matt" Battaglia (b. 1965), American actor, and professional NFL football player
- ... (Another 10 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)