Bartholomai History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
A multitude of prestigious family names, such as the surname Bartholomai, were formed in the lands which became the modern state of Germany, which is renowned for its beauty, industry, and economic power. However, in the medieval era, Germany was fragmented and inhabited by numerous Barbarian tribes, who fought amongst themselves for control of the land. At this time, the surname Bartholomai emerged throughout the German territories.
Early Origins of the Bartholomai family
The surname Bartholomai was first found in Germany, where the name Barthelemin was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Important Dates for the Bartholomai family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bartholomai research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1585 is included under the topic Early Bartholomai History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bartholomai Spelling Variations
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Bartholomai include Bathelemin, Bartholomai, Barthlemin, Barthelemmin, Barthelemmen, Barthelemen, Barthelme and many more.
Early Notables of the Bartholomai family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bartholomai Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bartholomai migration to the United States
In the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Bartholomai
Bartholomai Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Carl Bartholomai, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1774 
- Michael Bartholomai, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1774 
- Peter Bartholomai, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1774 
- Georg Bartholomai, who landed in America in 1783 
- Andr Bartholomai, who landed in America in 1783 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)