on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Spanish Barrios family come from? What is the Spanish Barrios family crest and coat of arms? When did the Barrios family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Barrios family history?Noble surnames, such as Barrios, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Barrios, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in Spain. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The surname Barrios originally derived from the Spanish word Barrera which referred to a barrier and denoted that the family originally lived beside a gate or fence.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barrios, de Barrios, Barrio, de Barrio, Barro, Barros, de Barros, Barroso, Barrera, de Barrera, de la Barrera, Barreda, de Barreda, Barral, Barreto, Barrientos and many more.
First found in Castile, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barrios research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1274, 1625 and 1701 are included under the topic Early Barrios History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 171 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barrios Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Cristóbal de Barrios sailed to America in 1513
- Jerónimo de Barrios sailed to Peru in 1535
- Juan de Barrios sailed to Veragua in 1535
Barrios Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Daniel Lopes Barrios, who arrived in Jamaica in 1748
Barrios Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Esteban Barrios, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1804
- Cristobal De Barrios, who landed in America in 1813
- Pedro De Barrios, who arrived in America in 1828
- Francisco Barrios, aged 40, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829
- I M Barrios, aged 30, landed in New Orleans, La in 1831
- Zulma X. Barrios (b. 1944), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nebraska, 2004
- Jarrett Barrios, American Democrat politician, Member of Massachusetts State House of Representatives, 1999-2002; Elected Massachusetts State Senate Middlesex, Suffolk & Essex District 2002
- Donald Barrios, American businessman, assisted the work of the DEA
- Carlos Jongitud Barrios (1924-2011), Mexican union leader and politician, Governor of San Luis Potosí (1979 to 1985)
- Lucho Barrios (1934-2010), Peruvian bolero singer
- Fernando Gutiérrez Barrios (1927-2000), Mexican politician, head of the secret police, governor of Veracruz
- Fannie Barrios (1964-2005), Venezuelan bodybuilder
- Eduardo Barrios (1884-1963), Chilean writer and poet
- Arturo Barrios (b. 1962), Mexican long-distance runner and former world record holder
- Agustín Barrios (1885-1944), Paraguayan guitarist and composer
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
The Barrios Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Barrios Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 November 2015 at 09:25.
on orders of $85 or more