Barriere History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Barriere, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Barriere, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in Spain. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The surname Barriere originally derived from the Spanish word Barrera which referred to a barrier and denoted that the family originally lived beside a gate or fence.
Early Origins of the Barriere family
The surname Barriere was first found in Castile, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
Early History of the Barriere family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barriere research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1274, 1625, 1701, 1530, 1597, 1565, 1569, 1577 and 1593 are included under the topic Early Barriere History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barriere Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barrios, de Barrios, Barrio, de Barrio, Barro, Barros, de Barros, Barroso, Barrera, de Barrera, de la Barrera, Barreda, de Barreda, Barral, Barreto, Barrientos and many more.
Early Notables of the Barriere family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were sixteenth century writer and philosopher Alonso de Barros; Miguel Barrios (c.1625-1701), a Spanish poet and historian; sixteenth century scientist and writer Bartolomé Barrientos; eighteenth century Spanish naval officer Blas Clemente de Barreda y Campuzano; nineteenth century Spanish politician and scholar Matías Barrio y Mier; nineteenth century Spanish military officer Cándido Barrios; nineteenth century Chilean writer Diego Barros Arana; nineteenth century Spanish actor Antonio Barroso; nineteenth century Salvadoran President Gerardo Barrios; nineteenth century Guatemalan President Justo Rufino Barrios; and nineteenth century Chilean writer Daniel Barros Grez.
Alonzo de Bárcena (also called de Barzana) was a Spanish...
Another 132 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barriere Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In France, the name Barriere is the 985th most popular surname with an estimated 5,329 people with that name. 
Barriere migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Barriere Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anthony Barriere, who landed in Maryland in 1768 
Barriere Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Barriere, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Barriere (post 1700) +
- Alain Barrière (1935-2019), born Alain Bellec, a French singer, active from the 1950s
- Raoul Barrière (1928-2019), French rugby union player and a coach
Related Stories +
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)