Barrier History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Barrier, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Barrier, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in Spain. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The surname Barrier originally derived from the Spanish word Barrera which referred to a barrier and denoted that the family originally lived beside a gate or fence.
Early Origins of the Barrier family
The surname Barrier was first found in Castile, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
Early History of the Barrier family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barrier research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1274, 1625 and 1701 are included under the topic Early Barrier History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barrier Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barrios, de Barrios, Barrio, de Barrio, Barro, Barros, de Barros, Barroso, Barrera, de Barrera, de la Barrera, Barreda, de Barreda, Barral, Barreto, Barrientos and many more.
Early Notables of the Barrier family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were sixteenth century writer and philosopher Alonso de Barros; Miguel Barrios (c.1625-1701), a Spanish poet and historian; sixteenth century scientist and writer Bartolomé Barrientos; eighteenth century Spanish naval officer Blas Clemente de Barreda y Campuzano; nineteenth century Spanish politician and...
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barrier Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barrier migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Barrier Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- August Barrier, who arrived in Long Island in 1780 
Barrier Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Casper Barrier, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1837 
- J P Barrier, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Barrier (post 1700) +
- Maurice Barrier (1932-2020), French actor and singer, the son of a cabinetmaker
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)