Barreiro History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Barreiro, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Barreiro, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in Spain. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The surname Barreiro originally derived from the Spanish word Barrera which referred to a barrier and denoted that the family originally lived beside a gate or fence.
Early Origins of the Barreiro family
The surname Barreiro was first found in Castile, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
Early History of the Barreiro family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barreiro research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1274, 1625, 1701, 1530, 1597, 1565, 1569, 1577 and 1593 are included under the topic Early Barreiro History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barreiro Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barrios, de Barrios, Barrio, de Barrio, Barro, Barros, de Barros, Barroso, Barrera, de Barrera, de la Barrera, Barreda, de Barreda, Barral, Barreto, Barrientos and many more.
Early Notables of the Barreiro family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were sixteenth century writer and philosopher Alonso de Barros; Miguel Barrios (c.1625-1701), a Spanish poet and historian; sixteenth century scientist and writer Bartolomé Barrientos; eighteenth century Spanish naval officer Blas Clemente de Barreda y Campuzano; nineteenth century Spanish politician and scholar Matías Barrio y Mier; nineteenth century Spanish military officer Cándido Barrios; nineteenth century Chilean writer Diego Barros Arana; nineteenth century Spanish actor Antonio Barroso; nineteenth century Salvadoran President Gerardo Barrios; nineteenth century Guatemalan President Justo Rufino Barrios; and nineteenth century Chilean writer Daniel Barros Grez.
Alonzo de Bárcena (also called de Barzana) was a Spanish...
Another 132 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barreiro Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Barreiro is the 15,591st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Barreiro migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Barreiro Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joaquin Barreiro, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1897 
Contemporary Notables of the name Barreiro (post 1700) +
- Christian Andreas Barreiro (b. 1990), American soccer player for Puerto Rico Islanders
- Gustavo "Gus" Barreiro (b. 1959), Cuabn-born, American politician, Republican Florida representative for District 107
- Dan Barreiro, American sports radio talk-show host on KFAN 100.3-FM
- José Barreiro (b. 1948), Cuban-born American writer, journalist and former professor of Native American Studies at Cornell University
- Xosé Ramón Barreiro (1936-2020), Spanish historian, president of the Royal Galician Academy (2001–2009)
- Magdalena Barreiro, Ecuadoran academic and politician, Minister of Economy and Finance of Ecuador in 2005
- Maximilian Barreiro (b. 1985), Argentine footballer
- Ricardo Barreiro (1949-1999), Argentine comic book writer
- Jose Carlos Barreiro, São Toméan politician, President of Sao Tome's electoral commission
- Luis G. Barreiro (1886-1947), Mexican film actor, known for his roles in known for Prisoner 13 (1933), The Accursed Island (1935) and Godfather Mendoza (1934)
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)