on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Barbosa family come from? What is the Spanish Barbosa family crest and coat of arms? When did the Barbosa family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Barbosa family history?Noble surnames, such as Barbosa, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Barbosa, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. Many Spanish local names reflect Arabic words or place-names because Spain was conquered by the Muslim Moors from the 8th to 12th centuries. The Barbosa family lived in the region of Barbarius, in the province of Tarragona.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barba, Barbo, Barbado, Barbada, de Barbada, Barbachano, Barbadillo, Barbón, Barbon, Barbosa, Barboso, Barbero, Barbera, Barberán, Barberan, Barbería, Barberia, Barbasán and many more.
First found in Castile, prominent among the medieval Christian kingdoms of Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barbosa research. Another 406 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1127, 1394, 1529, 1539, 1590, and 1650 are included under the topic Early Barbosa History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 80 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barbosa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Barbosa Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alonso Barbosa, who arrived in America in 1812
- Francisco Barbosa, aged 49, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
Barbosa Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agostinha Carria Barbosa, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States, in 1902
- Antonio Barbosa, aged 13, who emigrated to the United States from St. Michael's, in 1902
- Andres Barbosa, aged 31, who settled in America, in 1918
- Antonio G. Barbosa, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1920
- Aristides Barbosa, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1923
- Francisco Domingo Barbosa Da Silveira (1944-2015), Roman Catholic bishop in Uruguay
- Cédric Barbosa (b. 1976), French professional football player
- Everaldo Vergne de Assis Barbosa (b. 1975), Brazilian football midfielder
- Jorge Vera-Cruz Barbosa (1902-1971), Cape Verdean poet and writer
- Euclydes Barbosa (1909-1988), Brazilian football defender
- Moacyr Barbosa (1921-2000), Brazilian football goalkeeper
- Leandro Mateus Barbosa (b. 1982), Brazilian NBA professional basketball player
- José Luíz Barbosa (b. 1961), Brazilian two-time gold medalist runner
- César Barbosa (b. 1954), Colombian biologist, ornithologist and botanist
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
The Barbosa Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Barbosa Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 June 2015 at 10:30.
on orders of $85 or more