Barahona History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Barahona, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Barahona, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. Many Spanish local names reflect Arabic words or place-names because Spain was conquered by the Muslim Moors from the 8th to 12th centuries. The Barahona family lived in the region of Barbarius, in the province of Tarragona.
Early Origins of the Barahona family
The surname Barahona was first found in Castile, prominent among the medieval Christian kingdoms of Spain.
Important Dates for the Barahona family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barahona research. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1127, 1394, 1529, 1539, 1590, and 1650 are included under the topic Early Barahona History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barahona Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barba, Barbo, Barbado, Barbada, de Barbada, Barbachano, Barbadillo, Barbón, Barbon, Barbosa, Barboso, Barbero, Barbera, Barberán, Barberan, Barbería, Barberia, Barbasán and many more.
Early Notables of the Barahona family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were thirteenth century Castilian landowner Pelayo Barbero; Martín de Barbada, knight of the Reconquest, who died in 1394 during an unsuccessful attempt to capture Granada; Lope de Barba Figueroa, made a Knight of St. John...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barahona Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barahona migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Barahona Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Diego Barahona, who arrived in America in 1828 
- Sancho Barahona, who landed in New Spain in 1838 
- Francisco Barahona, who arrived in Chile in 1854 
- Diego De Barahona, who arrived in Peru in 1879 
Contemporary Notables of the name Barahona (post 1700)
- Juan de Esquivel Barahona (1560-1625), Spanish church composer
- Juan Concha Barahona (b. 1918), Chilean doctor
- Miguel Paz Barahona (1925-1929), President of Honduras
- Belisario Porras Barahona (1856-1942), Panamanian journalist and politician, three time President of Panama
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)