Bandini History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Bandini family can trace its noble origins to the Italian region of Tuscany. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most traditional type of family name found in the region of Tuscany is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, local surnames are also found. Local names, which are the least frequent of the major types of surnames found in Italy, are derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signifies emigration from one place to another, but does not necessarily denote nobility. The Bandini family lived in either Florence, Pisa, or Siena.
Early Origins of the Bandini family
The surname Bandini was first found in the city of Siena, where the earliest record lies with Pope Alessandro III, a Bandinelli who died in 1181.
Early History of the Bandini family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bandini research. More information is included under the topic Early Bandini History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bandini Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Bandini include Bandini, Bandi, Bandelli, Bandel, Bandelloni, Bandino, Banducci and many more.
Early Notables of the Bandini family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Domenico Bandini, born in Arezzo in 1335 who was a merchant and teacher; Bartolo Bandini, who was a member of the jury in Siena in 1368; Bartalo Bandini a philosophy teacher and a famous doctor in Massa Marittima around 1400; Bandello Bandelli, Bishop of the Città di Castello in 1388, Bishop of Rimini in 1407, and was made Cardinal in 1408; Francesco Bandini, a diplomat in Florence in the 15th century; Leonardo di Bandino, a knight in Rome in 1512; Germanico Bandini, an ecclesiastic in Siena in 1532. Ottavio Bandini was...
Another 98 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bandini Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bandini migration to the United States +
An examination into the immigration and passenger lists has discovered a number of people bearing the name Bandini:
Bandini Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Bandini, aged 17, who immigrated to America from Marliana, Firenze, Italy, in 1907
- Cleta Bandini, aged 25, who settled in America from Fabrosa, Italy, in 1909
- Adelaide Bandini, aged 32, who landed in America from Tevolorano, Italy, in 1909
- Domenico Bandini, aged 27, who immigrated to the United States from Marliana, Italy, in 1910
- Assunta Bandini, aged 24, who landed in America from Sinalunga, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Bandini (post 1700) +
- Helen Elliott Bandini, American California writer of history
- Monica Bandini (b. 1964), Italian road racing cyclist
- Lorenzo Bandini (1935-1967), Italian motorcar racing driver
- Ilario Bandini (1911-1992), Italian businessman, racing driver, and founder of Bandini Automobili
- Angelo Maria Bandini (1726-1803), Italian author and librarian
- Juan Bandini (1800-1859), Peruvian politician and early settler of San Diego, California
Related Stories +