Balli History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
From the historical and fascinating Italian region of Venice emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Balli family. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most common type of family name found in the region of Venice is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, the nickname type of surname is also frequently found. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The surname Balli came from a person who was nicknamed a "rascal" deriving its origin from the Italian word balosso.
Early Origins of the Balli family
The surname Balli was first found in where the Ballone branch of the family date back to the 11th century.
Early History of the Balli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Balli research. More information is included under the topic Early Balli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Balli Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Balli include Balli, Ballo, Balla, Balletti, Balletto, Ballini, Ballotti, Balloni, Ballone, Ballon, Ballandi, Ballanti, Ballante, Ballantini, Balleri, Ballero, Ballerini, Ballerino, Ballarini, Ballarin, Ballaro, Ballatore, Balladore, Ballacchi, Ballada, Ballai, Ballardi, Bellarini, Ballaroto, Ballonio, Ballotta and many more.
Early Notables of the Balli family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this family in early times was Guido Ballacchi, a Bishop of Rimini in 1278, and Lorenzo Ballacchi, who took the position in 1301; in 1398 Giacomo and Lorenzo Ballo were Barons of Avola in Sicily; in 1403 Giacomo and Agostino Balliani were councillors of Casale; Francesco and Giacomo Balliani were made counts in 1469 and their ancestor Antonio Balliani later took the title...
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Balli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Balli migration to the United States +
Early immigration records have shown some of the first Ballis to arrive on North American shores:
Balli Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M. E. Balli, aged 22, who settled in America from Caverono, in 1893
- Alfred Balli, aged 26, who immigrated to the United States, in 1894
- Franci Francesco Balli, aged 13, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Celso Balli, aged 20, who landed in America from Italy, in 1899
Balli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bennigno Balli, aged 11, who immigrated to America, in 1907
- Gumaro Balli, aged 28, who landed in America from Salento, Salerno, in 1910
- Amalia Balli, aged 23, who landed in America from Raiano, Italy, in 1912
- Giovanni Balli, aged 21, who landed in America from Pantecurone, Italy, in 1916
- Guiseppe Balli, aged 20, who settled in America from Cavergno, Switzerland, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Balli (post 1700) +
- Reynaldo Balli Jr., American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Texas 15th District, 1996 
- Daniele Balli (b. 1967), Italian football goalkeeper
- Balli Durga Prasad Rao (1956-2020), Indian politician
Related Stories +