The distinguished surname Azzi can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Venice
. The people here were known by only a single name until it became necessary for them to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Azzi is a patronymic
surname, a name derived from the father's given name. The surname Azzi came from the personal name
Early Origins of the Azzi family
The surname Azzi was first found in the city of Fermo. It was here, in 1074, that Tommaso Azzolini was Bishop.
Early History of the Azzi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Azzi research.Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Azzi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Azzi Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred
years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations
were the unsurprising result. The variations of Azzi include Azzano, Azzi, Azzini, Azzo, Azzoguidi, Azzola, Azzoli, Azzolin, Azzolina, Azzolini, Azzolino, Azzone, Azone, Azzoni, Azuta, Azuto, Azuti, Azzopardi, Azzopardo, D'Azzano, Dazzano, D'Azzi, Dazzi, D'Azzo and many more.
Early Notables of the Azzi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Alberto D'Azzone, who was a lawyer in 1233 in Bologna; the Azzoni family of Milan, who were made official nobility of the city in 1277; Artico Azzoni was made official nobility of Venice
in 1315; the Azzoguidi family in Bologna, who produced eight law... Another 223 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Azzi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Azzi family to the New World and Oceana
Immigrants bearing the name Azzi or a variant listed above include:
Azzi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antoun Azzi, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1894
- Ernesto Azzi, aged 28, who landed in America from Cardosso, in 1898
- Ida Azzi, aged 18, who emigrated to America from Cardosso, in 1898
Azzi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Pietro Azzi, aged 38, who landed in America from Gallicans, Italy, in 1911
- Raffaello Azzi, aged 42, who settled in America from Castelunoro, Italy, in 1912
- Ella Azzi, aged 7, who emigrated to the United States from Italy, in 1912
- Umberto Azzi, aged 35, who landed in America from Pievepelago, Italy, in 1914
- Maria Azzi, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Arcevia, Italy, in 1915
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Azzi (post 1700)
- Nadia Azzi (b. 1998), young American classical pianist of Lebanese -Japanese origin
- Jennifer Azzi (b. 1968), American basketball player and coach
- David Azzi (b. 1981), Lebanese-born, Canadian former wide receiver and slotback in the Canadian Football League
- Robert Azzi (b. 1952), Australian professional footballer