The surname Augusto is an Italian patronymic
surname; that is, it was a name created from the first name of the father. Augusto is derived from the personal name
Agostino. This personal name is derived from the Latin word "augustus," which means "favored with good omens."
Early Origins of the Augusto family
The surname Augusto was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna
, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. One of the first records of the name was Eugenio Agostini who was listed there in 923. Also around this time, Alessandro Agostini was secretary of the Duke and another Alessandro Agostini, of the same family in Ferrara, was the Councillor of Alfonso I.
Early History of the Augusto family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Augusto research. More information is included under the topic Early Augusto History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Augusto Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations
. The recorded spellings of Augusto include Agosta, Agostani, Agostaro, Agostena, Agosti, Agostinetti, Agostini, Agostinis, Agostino, Agostinone, Agosto, Agostoni, Agustoni, Augusti, Augusto, Augustoni, D'Agostino, DeAgostini and many more.
Early Notables of the Augusto family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Guido Agosti of Brescia who was in the council; Obizzo Agosti was supreme Captain of the Brescian military; Lodovico Agosti was Archbishop of Spalato in the 12th century; in the 13th century Girolamo Agosti was given the titles of Count and Knight, which continued... Another 266 words (19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Augusto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Augusto family to the New World and Oceana
Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Augusto were Querine Agostino, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1878, and Antonio Augustino, who settled in Seneca Falls, New York sometime between 1884 and 1915.
Contemporary Notables of the name Augusto (post 1700)
- Rodrigo Augusto Sartori Costa (b. 1983), Brazilian football player
- Emerson Augusto Thome (b. 1972), also known as Paredão, a Brazilian retired footballer
- César Augusto Cueto Villa (b. 1952), retired Peruvian attacking midfielder
- Trotzky Augusto Yepez Obando (1940-2010), Ecuadorian chess player, brother of Olavo Yépez Obando
- Lieutenant Genera Pedro Augusto del Valle (1893-1978), United States Marine Corps officer who became the first Hispanic to reach the rank of Lieutenant General
- Jaime Augusto Mayol (b. 1980), Puerto Rican model and host
- Sergio Augusto Guevara González (b. 1973), Guatemalan football midfielder
- Mario Augusto Bunge (b. 1919), Argentine philosopher and physicist
- Sabino Augusto Montanaro, Paraguayan politician
- Salvador Augusto Mijares (1897-1979), Venezuelan lawyer, historian, writer, educator and journalist
Augusto Family Crest Products