August History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Emilia Romagna region of Italy is the locale where the August surname was first found. Although the people in this region were at one time known by only a single, personal name, it later became necessary for them to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. August is one of the Italian patronymic surnames, created from the father's given name. The surname August came from the personal name Agostino. This personal name is derived from the Latin word "augustus," which means "favored with good omens."
Early Origins of the August family
The surname August was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. One of the first records of the name was Eugenio Agostini who was listed there in 923. Also around this time, Alessandro Agostini was secretary of the Duke and another Alessandro Agostini, of the same family in Ferrara, was the Councillor of Alfonso I.
Early History of the August family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our August research. More information is included under the topic Early August History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
August Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name August include Agosta, Agostani, Agostaro, Agostena, Agosti, Agostinetti, Agostini, Agostinis, Agostino, Agostinone, Agosto, Agostoni, Agustoni, Augusti, Augusto, Augustoni, D'Agostino, DeAgostini and many more.
Early Notables of the August family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Guido Agosti of Brescia who was in the council; Obizzo Agosti was supreme Captain of the Brescian military; Lodovico Agosti was Archbishop of Spalato in the 12th century; in the 13th century Girolamo Agosti was given the titles of Count and Knight, which continued through his descendants until 1618; Agnolo Agostino was a renowned architect in the 13th century who designed the Porta Romagna and the Church of St. Francis in Siena. Mariano and Paolo Agostini, brothers, were among the leaders of the Pisan government, and their ancestors maintained their positions for many more...
Another 216 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early August Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
August migration to the United States +
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name August:
August Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas August, who landed in South Carolina in 1695 
August Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Friederich August, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1742 
- Ludwig August, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752 
August Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- P M August, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1847 
- Charles August, aged 35, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1850 
- Sebastian August, aged 23, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1854 
- Lars August, aged 20, who arrived in New York, NY in 1869 
August migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
August Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George August, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "William Nichol" in 1842 
Contemporary Notables of the name August (post 1700) +
- Rose August, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Hawaii Territory, 1944 
- Robert B. August, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Avon; Elected 1954 
- Herbert M. August, American Republican politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 6th District, 1962 
- Jack L. August (1954-2017), was Arizona's state historian
- Denise Marie Quiñones August (b. 1980), Puerto Rican winner of the Miss Universe competition
- Bille August (b. 1948), Danish film director
- William August Rodenberg (1865-1937), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1896, 1908, 1916, 1920; U.S. Representative from Illinois, 1899-1901, 1903-13, 1915-23 
- Christian August Anker (1896-1982), Norwegian businessman
- Christian August Anker (1840-1912), Norwegian businessman
- Friedrich August Rosen (1805-1837), Sanskrit scholar, son of Friedrich Ballhorn Rosen, a legal writer, born at Hanover
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) WILLIAM NICHOL 1842. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1842WilliamNichol.gif
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 28) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html