Audet History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Audet, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the French people. The original bearer of the name Audet, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Savoie. In France, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Audet family derived their surname from the name of the city of Audeville in Savoie.
Early Origins of the Audet family
The surname Audet was first found in Savoy (French: Savoie) in the Rhône-Alpes region of the French Alps. The Odette variant probably originated in D'Audeville in the commune de Loiret, arrondisement of Pithiviers. 
Princess Odette is the White Swan, the lead ballerina role in Tchaikovsky's famous Swan Lake.
Nicolas Audet travelled from France to Canada around the middle of the 17th century. He worked as a porter for Mgr. de Laval. After settling in Quebec he married Madeleine Despres on 15th September 1670. They had twelve children and remained together in Quebec until Nicolas passed away at l'île-d'Orléans in 1700. 
Early History of the Audet family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Audet research. Another 268 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1344, 1438, and 1808 are included under the topic Early Audet History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Audet Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Audet, Audey, Auday, Audé, Audaie, Audais, Auddet, Auddey, Audday, Auddé, Auddaie, Auddais, Odet, Oday, Odé, Odaie, Odais, Oddey, Oddet, Odday, Oddé, Oddaie and many more.
Early Notables of the Audet family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Audet Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Audet World Ranking
In the United States, the name Audet is the 7,923rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Canada, the name Audet is ranked the 342nd most popular surname with an estimated 13,383 people with that name.  And in Quebec, Canada, the name Audet is the 98th popular surname. 
Audet migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- François Audet, son of François and Marguerite, who married Madeline Baillargeon, daughter of Jean and Marie, in Saint-Laurent-de-l'Île-d'Orléans, Quebec on 19th November 1736 
- François Audet, son of Nicolas and Madeleine, who married Marguerite Bernard, daughter of André and Marie, in Saint-Laurent-de-l'Île-d'Orléans, Quebec on 3rd June 1709 
- François Audet, son of Joachim and Louise, who married Angélique Reguindeau, daughter of Joseph and Angélique, in Boucherville, Quebec on 28th October 1754 
- Gabriel Audet, son of Joseph and Jeanne, who married Marie-Félicité Hautbois, daughter of Charles and Marie-Anne, in Saint-Michel, Quebec on 8th January 1753 
- Guillaume Audet, son of Pierre and Marie, who married Marie-Madeleine Turcot, daugter of François and Geneviève, in Sainte-Famille-de-l'Île-d'Orléans, Quebec on 6th November 1742 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Audet Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Nicolas Audet, son of Innocent and Vincente Reine de Poitiers married Madeleine Després, daughter of François and Madeleine Legrand de Paris at Sainte-Famille in 1670
- Nicolas Audet, son of Nicolas and Magdelaine Després married Marie-Louise Chabot, daughter of Mathurin and Marie Mésange at Saint-Laurent in 1697
Audet Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Jean-Baptiste Audet, son of Jean-Baptiste and Marie Goutbout married Catherine Rondeau, daughter of Etienne and Marie-Louise Mauraux at Saint-Jean in 1732
Contemporary Notables of the name Audet (post 1700) +
- Earl Audet (1921-2002), American football offensive lineman
- Henry Audet, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Concord 6th Ward, 1938 
- Aurèle Audet (1920-2015), Canadian politician, Member of the National Assembly of Quebec for Abitibi-Ouest (1970-1973)
- Michel Audet (b. 1940), Canadian economist and a politician in Quebec, Canada
- Jean-Paul Audet (1918-1993), French Canadian academic and philosopher
- Antoine Audet (1846-1915), French Canadian politician in Quebec, Canada
- Alexandre Audet (b. 1979), former Quebec Major Junior Hockey League ice hockey player
- Richard Joseph Audet, Canadian fighter pilot and flying ace in the Royal Canadian Air Force, during World War II, credited with 10½ aerial victories
Related Stories +
- ^ Dionne, N.-E., Les Canadiens-Francais Origine Des Familles. Baltimore: Geneological Publishing Company, 1969. Print
- ^ Olivier, Reginald L. Your Ancient Canadian Family Ties. Logan: The Everton Publishers, Inc., P.O. Box 368, 1972. Print
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://forebears.io/surnames/
- ^ https://statistique.quebec.ca/fr/document/noms-de-famille-au-quebec/tableau/les-1-000-premiers-noms-de-famille-selon-le-rang-quebec
- ^ Internoscia, Arthur E., and Claire Chevrier. Dictionnaire National des Canadiens Français 1608-1760. Vol. 1, Institut Drouin, 1958.
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 28) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html