The noble Spanish surname Arregui is of local
origin, as it is derived from a particular place-name near which the original bearer lived or held land. In this instance, the surname Arregui derives from the Basque
words "arri," meaning "stone," and the local suffix "egi," which means "from, or slope." Therefore, the surname Arregui literally means "one who lived in a stony place or one who lived by a rocky incline."
Early Origins of the Arregui family
The surname Arregui was first found in the province of Guipuzcoa in the Basque
country, where the family had four ancestral seats. These seats were found in the districts of Anguiozar, Aztigarreta, Azpeitia and Azcoitia.
Early History of the Arregui family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Arregui research.Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1695 is included under the topic Early Arregui History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Arregui Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Arregui, Arreggui, Arreguin, Arreguia, Arregi and others.
Early Notables of the Arregui family (pre 1700)
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Arregui Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Arregui family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Arregui Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Francisco Arregui, aged 21, who emigrated to America from Errea, Spain, in 1907
- Edvardo Arregui, aged 17, who landed in America from Marguiechevarria, Spain, in 1910
- Juan Cruz Arregui, aged 33, who landed in America from Solivar, Spain, in 1911
- Ambratio Arregui, aged 20, who settled in America from Mallavia, Spain, in 1911
- Consuelo Arregui, aged 8, who emigrated to the United States from Cadiz, Spain, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Arregui (post 1700)
- Andres Garcia Arregui, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Puerto Rico, 2008 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Mario Arregui (1917-1985), journalist and critic from Uruguay