Armbrister History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Armbrister is derived from the German word "armbrust" meaning "crossbow;" as such, it was an occupational name perhaps for a soldier, who used a crossbow, or perhaps for a maker of crossbows.
Early Origins of the Armbrister family
The surname Armbrister was first found in Baden-Wurttemberg and northern Switzerland, where the name has been found in records dating from the 14th century. In 1326, there was a house known as the Armbruster house," in Strassburg (Urkundenbuch der Stadt Strassburg, von H. Witte, III, 251). Mesiter Ulrich der Armbroster of Regensburg was the bow-maker, or Armbrister, of the town of Heilbronn (Urkundenbuch der Stadt Heilbronn I, 203,) while Maister Hanns Armbroster was the town archer, or bow-maker, of Rottweil (Urkundenbuch der Stadt Rottweil, 372).
Early History of the Armbrister family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Armbrister research. More information is included under the topic Early Armbrister History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Armbrister Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Armbruster, Armbroster, Armbriester, Armpruster and many more.
Early Notables of the Armbrister family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Armbrister Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Armbrister migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Armbrister Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Franz Armbrister, aged 16, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Josef Armbrister, aged 18, who settled in America, in 1895
- Mrs. W.E. Armbrister, aged 45, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Henry Armbrister, aged 10, who landed in America, in 1896
Armbrister Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George W. Armbrister, aged 38, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- Helbert T. Armbrister, aged 5, who settled in America from London, in 1906
- Cyril Armbrister, aged 12, who landed in America from Nassau, Bahamas, in 1908
- Eugine Armbrister, aged 47, who landed in America from Nassau, Bahamas, in 1911
- Edith L. Armbrister, aged 48, who immigrated to America from Nassau, Bahamas, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Armbrister (post 1700) +
- Kenneth L. Armbrister (b. 1946), American Democrat politician, Member of Texas State House of Representatives 32nd District, 1983-86; Member of Texas State Senate 18th District, 1987-2006 
- Hazel K. Armbrister, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Florida, 2000 
- Edison Rosanda "Ed" Armbrister (b. 1948), American retired Major League Baseball outfielder
Related Stories +