100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Armbrister family come from? What is the German Armbrister family crest and coat of arms? When did the Armbrister family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Armbrister family history?The name Armbrister is derived from the German word "armbrust" meaning "crossbow;" as such, it was an occupational name perhaps for a soldier, who used a crossbow, or perhaps for a maker of crossbows.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Armbruster, Armbroster, Armbriester, Armpruster and many more.
First found in Baden-Wurttemberg and northern Switzerland, where the name has been found in records dating from the 14th century. In 1326, there was a house known as the Armbruster house," in Strassburg (Urkundenbuch der Stadt Strassburg, von H. Witte, III, 251). Mesiter Ulrich der Armbroster of Regensburg was the bow-maker, or Armbrister, of the town of Heilbronn (Urkundenbuch der Stadt Heilbronn I, 203,) while Maister Hanns Armbroster was the town archer, or bow-maker, of Rottweil (Urkundenbuch der Stadt Rottweil, 372).
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Armbrister research. Another 78 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Armbrister History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 25 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Armbrister Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Armbrister Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Franz Armbrister, aged 16, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Josef Armbrister, aged 18, who settled in America, in 1895
- Mrs. W.E. Armbrister, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Henry Armbrister, aged 10, who landed in America, in 1896
Armbrister Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George W. Armbrister, aged 38, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- Helbert T. Armbrister, aged 5, who settled in America from London, in 1906
- Cyril Armbrister, aged 12, who landed in America from Nassau, Bahamas, in 1908
- Eugine Armbrister, aged 47, who landed in America from Nassau, Bahamas, in 1911
- Edith L. Armbrister, aged 48, who emigrated to America from Nassau, Bahamas, in 1920
- Kenneth L. Armbrister (b. 1946), American politician, Democratic member of the Texas Senate
- Edison Rosanda "Ed" Armbrister (b. 1948), American retired Major League Baseball outfielder
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Armbrister Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Armbrister Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 May 2012 at 13:58.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!