100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The name Armbrister is derived from the German word "armbrust" meaning "crossbow;" as such, it was an occupational
name perhaps for a soldier, who used a crossbow, or perhaps for a maker of crossbows.
The surname Armbrister was first found in Baden-Wurttemberg and northern Switzerland
, where the name has been found in records dating from the 14th century. In 1326, there was a house known as the Armbruster house," in Strassburg (Urkundenbuch der Stadt Strassburg, von H. Witte, III, 251). Mesiter Ulrich der Armbroster of Regensburg was the bow-maker, or Armbrister, of the town of Heilbronn (Urkundenbuch der Stadt Heilbronn I, 203,) while Maister Hanns Armbroster was the town archer, or bow-maker, of Rottweil (Urkundenbuch der Stadt Rottweil, 372).
Spelling variations of this family name include: Armbruster, Armbroster, Armbriester, Armpruster and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Armbrister research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Armbrister History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 25 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Armbrister Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Armbrister Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Franz Armbrister, aged 16, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Josef Armbrister, aged 18, who settled in America, in 1895
- Mrs. W.E. Armbrister, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Henry Armbrister, aged 10, who landed in America, in 1896
Armbrister Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George W. Armbrister, aged 38, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- Helbert T. Armbrister, aged 5, who settled in America from London, in 1906
- Cyril Armbrister, aged 12, who landed in America from Nassau, Bahamas, in 1908
- Eugine Armbrister, aged 47, who landed in America from Nassau, Bahamas, in 1911
- Edith L. Armbrister, aged 48, who emigrated to America from Nassau, Bahamas, in 1920
- Edison Rosanda "Ed" Armbrister (b. 1948), American retired Major League Baseball outfielder
- Kenneth L. Armbrister (b. 1946), American politician, Democratic member of the Texas Senate
- Kenneth L. Armbrister (b. 1946), American Democrat politician, Member of Texas State House of Representatives 32nd District, 1983-86; Member of Texas State Senate 18th District, 1987-2006
- Hazel K. Armbrister, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Florida, 2000
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
The Armbrister Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Armbrister Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 January 2016 at 11:27.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!