Aponte History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished Spanish surname Aponte is of local origin, derived from the name of the place where a man once lived or held land. The surname Aponte is the plural form of the word "Puente" which in Spanish means "bridge," thus, the original bearer of this surname must have been born or lived in a town where there were several bridges, a feature that he decided to adopt as his surname.
Early Origins of the Aponte family
The surname Aponte was first found in the valley of the Trucios in the province of Biscay in the Basque region. However, families with the Aponte surname, have been present in Catalonia for many centuries. The Spanish Aponte surname has appeared in documents that date as far back as the eleventh century.
Important Dates for the Aponte family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Aponte research. Another 62 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1704 and 1782 are included under the topic Early Aponte History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Aponte Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ponte, Ponti, Pont, Ponts, Pontos, Puentes, De La Puente and many more.
Early Notables of the Aponte family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Aponte Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Aponte migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Aponte Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Aponte Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Maria Aponte, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1860 
- Antonino Aponte of Sorrento, who arrived at Ellis Island, New York in 1898
Contemporary Notables of the name Aponte (post 1700)
- Christopher Aponte, American classical ballet dancer
- Edwin David Aponte (b. 1957), American historian and theologian
- Luis Aponte (b. 1953), Venezuelan Major League Baseball player
- José Aponte (b. 1958), Puerto Rican politician
- Carlos Aponte, Colombian footballer
Historic Events for the Aponte family
Arrow Air Flight 1285
- Mr. Ivan R Aponte (b. 1963), American Specialist 4th Class from Boston, Massachusetts, USA who died in the crash 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ American War Memorials - Flight 1285. (Retrieved 2016, August 24) . Retrieved from http://www.uswarmemorials.org/html/monument_details.php?SiteID=317&MemID=550