Anthes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
A multitude of prestigious family names, such as the surname Anthes, were formed in the lands which became the modern state of Saxony. In the medieval era, Germany was fragmented and inhabited by numerous Barbarian tribes, who fought amongst themselves for control of the land. The ancient dukedom of Saxony derived its name from the Germanic tribe name the Saxons who inhabited the territory after the fall of the Roman Empire.
Early Origins of the Anthes family
The surname Anthes was first found in Saxony, where the name became noted for its many branches with the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family. The name is associated with Saint Anthony (Antonius,) the founder of monasticism and the patron saint of farmers. Although primarily a first name, Anton also became a family name as it gained popularity in the Middle Ages.
Early History of the Anthes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Anthes research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1802 and 1817 are included under the topic Early Anthes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Anthes Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Anton, Antonn, Annton, Antonne, Anthes, Antes and others.
Early Notables of the Anthes family (pre 1700)
Prominent bearers of the family name Anthes at this time were Carl Gottlob Anton (d. 1817), who was a high-ranking civil official in the city of Goerlitz in...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Anthes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Anthes migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Anthes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Phil Daniel Anthes, who arrived in America in 1856 
- Philip Anthes, who landed in St Clair County, III in 1863 
Contemporary Notables of the name Anthes (post 1700) +
- George Paul Anthes (1856-1936), American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Nebraska State Auditor, 1908 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html