The Anello surname comes from the personal name
Anello, which is in turn derived from the word "anello," meaning "curly," usually in reference to one's hair. The name was therefore most likely given to someone with curly hair. The word also means "ring;" so the name may have been given to someone who made rings, ie: a jeweler.
Early Origins of the Anello family
The surname Anello was first found in Lombardy
(Italian: Lombardia), as well as other areas, mostly in the southern regions of Italy. The name is especially common on the island of Sicily
, in the form Anello. As with most Italian surnames, common variations of this name end in either "i" or "o"; those ending in "i" are mostly from the north, while those ending in "o" come from the south.
Early History of the Anello family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Anello research.Another 57 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Anello History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Anello Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Anello family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Anello Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Anello family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Anello Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Annunziata Anello, aged 63, who settled in America from Italy, in 1893
Anello Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonino Anello, aged 23, who emigrated to America from Calalafimi, Sicily, in 1910
- Antonina Anello, aged 1, who emigrated to the United States from Palermo, Italy, in 1911
- Agostino Anello, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from Francavilla, Italy, in 1911
- Angela Anello, aged 18, who settled in America from Palermo, Italy, in 1911
- Andra Anello, aged 22, who landed in America from Calatafimi, Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Anello (post 1700)
- Donald Anello, American Democrat politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates 20th District; Elected 1984 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Michael M. Anello (b. 1943), United States federal judge