Amerson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Amerson family
The surname Amerson was first found in Durham where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Amerson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Amerson research. Another 144 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1086 and 1100 are included under the topic Early Amerson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Amerson Spelling Variations
Although the name, Amerson, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Emerson, Emmerson, Emerston and others.
Early Notables of the Amerson family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Amerson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Amerson family to Ireland
Some of the Amerson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 82 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Amerson family
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Amerson family name Amerson, or who bore a variation of the surname were Ellis Emerson, his wife Anne, and son Thomas (who was the scion of one of U.S. most distinguished families), settled in Virginia in 1623 from Durham; William Emerson settled in Virginia in 1618 before the ".
Contemporary Notables of the name Amerson (post 1700) +
- Archie Amerson (b. 1974), American former running back in the Canadian Football League, Walter Payton Award winner in 1996
- Lucius Amerson, the first African American Sheriff in the South since Reconstruction in 1967
- Glenn Douglas Amerson (b. 1938), American professional NFL football defensive back for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1961
- Stephen "Steve" Amerson (b. 1954), American singer, songwriter, and recording artist
- David Amerson (b. 1991), American football cornerback for the Washington Redskins
- Lucius Amerson, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1972; Candidate for Presidential Elector for Alabama, 1972 
- Harvey Sandburg Amerson (1875-1943), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Antrim County, 1911-12 
Related Stories +