Amelung History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished German surname Amelung lie in the former duchy of Swabia. The name was made famous through the "Dietrichsage," a collection of medieval German heroic poems featuring Dietrich von Bern of the Amelung dynasty. Amelung is made up of the Gothic "amal," meaning "vigor, energy," and "-ung," an ancient ending common in heroic poetry indicating "descendant of." The name was common during the early Middle Ages as both a personal name and a surname.
Early Origins of the Amelung family
The surname Amelung was first found in Swabia, where it most likely first emerged. The earliest recorded bearer of the surname is Wernhard Amilunc, who was a resident of the city of Freiburg in the year 1200. The young Amelung family was instrumental during this early period, playing a significant role in the development of medieval German society.
Early History of the Amelung family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Amelung research. Another 112 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1295, 1365, 1690, 1798, 1849, and 1865 are included under the topic Early Amelung History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Amelung Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Amelung, Amelungen, Amelunke, Amelunk, Amilunc, Amelong, Ameling, Amelang, Ammelunc, Ahmling and many more.
Early Notables of the Amelung family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Amelung Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Amelung migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Amelung Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mr. Amelung, who landed in America in 1784 
- John Frederick Amelung, who arrived in Frederick County, Maryland in 1787 
Amelung Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John A Amelung, aged 22, who landed in Texas in 1827 
- Otto Amelung, who landed in Texas in 1845 
- Auguste Amelung, who landed in America in 1855 
Contemporary Notables of the name Amelung (post 1700)
- Viola B. Amelung, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Connecticut, 1952, 1960 
- Roy Amelung, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Missouri 3rd District, 1986 
- Lola Amelung (b. 1915), painter and illustrator
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html