Altenberger History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Altenberger emerged in the lands that formed the modern state of Lower Saxony, which is presently bordered by the North Sea, the Hartz mountains and the Elbe and Ems rivers. Lower Saxony was previously a medieval Saxon dukedom. The name Altenberger, which is a local surname, reveals that the original bearer of the name once lived, held land, or was born in this beautiful region of Germany. In the Holy Roman Empire, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and after the 12th century, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. When coupled with the German preposition von, which means from or of, local names can indicate that the bearer of the name was an aristocrat. However, in modern times, the von is frequently dropped from the surname. The Altenberger family originally lived in one of the numerous places named Alten in Germany. In the border regions of France, Switzerland and Austria, there are a multitude of villages, towns and cities by this name. The most familiar city of Alten, however, is in Prussia. Located in a mountainous region of the Hanover province close to the Ocker river, it was established in the 15th century by miners who worked in the silver mines.
Early Origins of the Altenberger family
The surname Altenberger was first found in Oldenburg, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name Aldenburg became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
Important Dates for the Altenberger family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Altenberger research. Another 104 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1651, 1653, 1732, 1734, 1801, 1584 and 1640 are included under the topic Early Altenberger History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Altenberger Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Altenburg, Altenberger, Aldenberg, Aldenbourg, Aldanburg, Altenburg and many more.
Early Notables of the Altenberger family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Altenberger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Altenberger migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Altenberger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Altenberger, who settled in Philadelphia in 1737
- Joh Altenberger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1737 
- Johannes Altenberger, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737 
Contemporary Notables of the name Altenberger (post 1700)
- Herman G. Altenberger, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Iowa 6th District, 1934, 1936 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html