Almodovar History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The noble Spanish surname Almodovar is of toponymic origin, that is, it is derived from the place name Almodóvar, located in the southern Spanish province of Cadiz. Thus, the surname Almodovar signifies "one from Almodóvar."The place name Almodóvar signifies "round place" and is derived from the contraction of two Arabic elements, the definitive article "al," meaning "the," and "modovar" of uncertain origin.
Early Origins of the Almodovar family
The surname Almodovar was first found in the town of Almodovar in the Southern region of Spain. However, experts have suggested that Pedro de Almodóvar was the original bearer of the name Almodóvar, and that his ancestral house was in fact located in Motilla de Palancar in the province of Cuenca.
Important Dates for the Almodovar family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Almodovar research. Another 119 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1791 and 1667 are included under the topic Early Almodovar History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Almodovar Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Almodovo, Almodovaras and others.
Early Notables of the Almodovar family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Almodovar Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Almodovar migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Almodovar Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anton De Almodovar, who landed in America in 1826 
Almodovar Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jose M. Almodovar, aged 19, who immigrated to America, in 1917
- Vecter Almodovar, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1919
- Eusebia Almodovar, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1919
Contemporary Notables of the name Almodovar (post 1700)
- Juan Espinosa y Almodóvar, American art gallery director
- Agustín Almodóvar, Spanish film producer
- José Miguel Almodóvar, Spanish lawyer and founder of the association of the Press in Spain
- Melina Almodovar (b. 1979), Puerto Rican salsa singer/songwriter, dancer, and entertainer
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)