Almanza History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Almanza is the name of a noble family whose roots are Spanish, but has been greatly influenced by the Moorish occupation
of the region during the early Middle Ages. The word "almanza" comes from the Arabic words "al-mansa" meaning "the house."
Early Origins of the Almanza family
The surname Almanza was first found in the judicial district of Sahagún, province of León. The surname Almanza was taken from a village of the same name. Its progenitor was Don Lope Díaz de Cinfontes, who took the name "Almanza" for possessing the Lordship of this village. Don Lope was also the Master Guard of the King and is laid to rest in the Grand Chapel of Sotnobal. Over his sepulcher is written the following epitaph: "Here lies Lope Diaz de Cinfontes, Lord of Almanza; God have mercy on his soul..."
Early History of the Almanza family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Almanza research.Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1393 and 1533 are included under the topic Early Almanza History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Almanza Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Almanza family (pre 1700)
Con la Reconquista guerra con la que los cristianos bajo las órdenes del rey Fernando y la reina Isabel reconquistaron a España y expulsaron a los musulmanes invasores en el año 1492. Dentro de estos nombres de familias se han destacado, por ejemplo, Don Martín Enríquez de Almanza (died 1583)... Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Almanza Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Almanza family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Almanza Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Juan De Almanza, who arrived in Peru in 1884 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Almanza Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Brigida Almanza, aged 5, who landed in America from Montelleria, Trapani, in 1909
Contemporary Notables of the name Almanza (post 1700)
- Albert Almanza, Mexican-born, American former Olympic athlete and college basketball player
- Armando N. Almanza (b. 1972), American Major League Baseball former left-handed relief pitcher who played from 1999 to 2005
- María Guadalupe García Almanza (b. 1960), Mexican politician from the Citizens' Movement
- Ashley Martin Almanza (b. 1964), South African businessman, Chief Executive Officer of G4S plc (2013-)
- Rose Mary Almanza Blanco (b. 1992), Cuban silver medalist middle distance runner at the 2011 CAC Championships
- Juan Carlos Almanza (1852-1923), Argentine physician
- Hector Raúl Almanza (b. 1912), Mexican poet, lawyer and politician
- Cleofas Almanza (1850-1915), Mexican painter
Almanza Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)