Alessio History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Alessio can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Venice. The people here were known by only a single name until it became necessary for them to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Alessio is a patronymic surname, a name derived from the father's given name. The surname Alessio came from the personal name "Alessio" which is derived from the Latin Alexius which means to defend or to protect.
Early Origins of the Alessio family
The surname Alessio was first found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy in the 15th century with the Alessio family, who moved to Sicily when they received a vast amount of land on the island from the king, Federico.
Early History of the Alessio family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Alessio research. More information is included under the topic Early Alessio History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alessio Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Alessio include Alecci, Ales, Alesci, Alescio, Alesi, Alesio, Alesseri, Alessi, Alessiani, Alessiati, Alessio, D'Alesio, D'Alessio and many more.
Early Notables of the Alessio family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Antonio Alessio, a Baron in 1435 in Sicily; and Galeazzo Alessi (1512-1572), an Italian architect from Perugia who worked in Rome and...
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Alessio Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alessio migration to the United States +
Immigrants bearing the name Alessio or a variant listed above include:
Alessio Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfonso Alessio, aged 45, who landed in America from Rogliano, in 1902
- Antonio Alessio, aged 32, who landed in America from Villa Secondon, Italy, in 1906
- Andrea Alessio, aged 40, who immigrated to the United States from Riese, Italy, in 1909
- Carlo Alessio, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States from Colcavagno, Italy, in 1909
- Antonio Alessio, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from S. Giovanni in Fiore, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Alessio (post 1700) +
- John S. Alessio, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1964 
- Jason Alessio, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Colorado 3rd District, 2002 
- Angelo Alessio (b. 1965), professional Italian football coach and a former player
- John Paul Alessio (b. 1979), Canadian mixed martial artist
- Steven Alessio (b. 1971), former Australian rules footballer
- Gianni Alessio Bui (b. 1940), Italian professional football coach and a former player
- Alessio Sartori (b. 1976), Italian four-time gold and silver medalist competitive rower and Olympic champion
- Alessio Furlan (b. 1976), Italian boxer
- Alessio Locatelli (b. 1978), Italian football goalkeeper
- Alessio Curcio (b. 1990), Italian professional football player
Related Stories +