The distinguished surname Alessi can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Venice
. The people here were known by only a single name until it became necessary for them to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Alessi is a patronymic
surname, a name derived from the father's given name. The surname Alessi came from the personal name
"Alessio" which is derived from the Latin Alexius which means to defend or to protect.
Early Origins of the Alessi family
The surname Alessi was first found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy in the 15th century with the Alessio family, who moved to Sicily
when they received a vast amount of land on the island from the king, Federico.
Early History of the Alessi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Alessi research. More information is included under the topic Early Alessi History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Alessi Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred
years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations
were the unsurprising result. The variations of Alessi include Alecci, Ales, Alesci, Alescio, Alesi, Alesio, Alesseri, Alessi, Alessiani, Alessiati, Alessio, D'Alesio, D'Alessio and many more.
Early Notables of the Alessi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Antonio Alessio, a Baron
in 1435 in Sicily; and Galeazzo Alessi (1512-1572), an Italian architect from Perugia who worked in Rome and... Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Alessi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Alessi family to the New World and Oceana
Immigrants bearing the name Alessi or a variant listed above include:
Alessi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Alessi, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1817
Alessi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Alessi, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from Sliaterina, in 1900
- Angelo Alessi, aged 13, who immigrated to America from Campofelice, in 1901
- Achille Alessi, aged 29, who immigrated to the United States from Appegnano, Italy, in 1904
- Angelo Alessi, aged 18, who landed in America from Gualtieri, in 1906
- Angelo Alessi, aged 29, who settled in America from S. Caternia, Sicily, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Alessi (post 1700)
- Raquel Alessi (b. 1983), American actress and model, best known for her starring role in the television series Standoff and the film Ghost Rider
- Marc Steven Alessi (b. 1976), American politician, Member of the New York State Assembly (2005-2010)
- Ralph Alessi (b. 1963), American jazz trumpeter and composer
- Joseph Alessi (b. 1959), American classical trombonist, current Principal Trombone of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra
- Mike Alessi (b. 1988), American professional Motocross and Supercross racer
- Bob "Bobby" Alessi (b. 1953), who with this twin brother Bill are an American pop rock singer-songwriter duo, best known for their 1984 hit "Savin' the Day"
- Marc S. Alessi, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly 1st District CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Giuseppe Alessi (1905-2009), Italian politician, Member of Italian Chamber of Deputies (1968-1972), 1st and 3rd President of Sicily (1955-1956) and (1947-1949)
- Giuseppe Alessi (b. 1977), Italian football midfielder
- Diego Alessi (b. 1971), Italian race car driver, ADAC GT Masters Champion in 2013
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Alessi Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html