Alessandro History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
People in Italy were originally known only by a single name, but it became necessary for people to adopt a second name, or surname to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. The surname Alessandro was derived from the Italian personal name Alessandro.
Early Origins of the Alessandro family
The surname Alessandro was first found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), originally the capital of Tuscany, then capital of the kingdom of Italy. On the River Arno there are numerous Florentine Churches, Museums, Galleries. It dates back to 313 A.D. The history is complex and turbulent. The de' Medici family are the notables. They were expelled in 1494 but they returned in 1512, out in 1527 and then returned. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Important Dates for the Alessandro family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Alessandro research. Another 110 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1516, 1187, 1455, 1503 and 1657 are included under the topic Early Alessandro History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alessandro Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Di Sandro, Sandra, Sandras, Sandre, Sandrolini, Sandron, Sandrone, Alessandro, Alessandra, Lassandro, Lassandra, Assandro and many more.
Early Notables of the Alessandro family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Alessandro Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alessandro migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Alessandro Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alicandro Alessandro, who arrived in New York, NY in 1904
- Alicandro Alessandro, who settled in New York, NY in 1904
Contemporary Notables of the name Alessandro (post 1700)
- Joseph S. Alessandro, American Republican politician, Candidate for Justice of New York Supreme Court 9th District, 2004 
- Andrea Alessandro Carnevale (b. 1961), Italian former footballer
- Pietro Alessandro Guglielmi (1728-1804), Italian opera composer
- Alessandro Mantovani (1814-1892), Italian painter from Ferrara
- Alessandro Fortis (1842-1909), Italian politician, 18th Prime Minister of Italy from 1905 to 1906
- Alessandro Mendini (1931-2019), Italian designer and architect
- Alessandro Berarducci, Italian Professor of Mathematics, University of Pisa
- Alessandro Sartori (b. 1966), Italian fashion designer, creative director of Berluti
- Alessandro "Sandro" Grande (b. 1977), former Canadian soccer player for the Canada National Team (2004-2006)
- Alessandro Ballan (b. 1979), Italian professional road bicycle racer
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html