Early Origins of the Abbondanza family
The surname Abbondanza was first found in Venice
(Italian: Venezia), and seaport occupying one of the most remarkable sites of the world. Centralizing on the Grand Canal the history of the city can be traced through the different styles of architecture Byzantine, Gothic, early Renaissance
and late Renaissance
. It is rich in ancient palaces, churches, libraries, galleries, monuments, statues, treasures and artifacts. Its history is abundant in politics, art, religion, scholarship and conflict. The ducal palace was commenced in 1309. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Abbondanza family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Abbondanza research.Another 323 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 122 and 1227 are included under the topic Early Abbondanza History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Abbondanza Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations
. The recorded spellings of Abbondanza include Abenante, Abbanento, Abbenanti, Abbenante, Abbondanti, Abbondanza and many more.
Early Notables of the Abbondanza family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Abbondanza Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Abbondanza family to the New World and Oceana
Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the name Abbondanza or a variant listed above:
Abbondanza Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio Abbondanza, aged 28, who settled in America from Gorgoglione, Italy, in 1912
- Ciro Abbondanza, aged 31, who landed in America from Gattea, Italy, in 1913
- Cosimo Abbondanza, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States from Giovinazzo Bari, Italy, in 1920
- Flaviano Abbondanza, aged 28, who settled in America from Giulianova, Italy, in 1920
- Giuseppe Abbondanza, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Toritto, Italty, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Abbondanza (post 1700)
- Marco Abbondanza (b. 1953), Italian medical doctor and eye surgeon, best known for his treatment of keratoconus