Wandel Surname History
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished German surname Wandel lie in the former duchy of Swabia. The name is derived from the personal names "Wand," "Wend," and "Wendel," which are themselves all derived from the Old High German verb "wandern," meaning "to wander." The original bearer of the surname was most likely the son of one named Wendel.
Early Origins of the Wandel family
The surname Wandel was first found in the duchy of Swabia, where it most likely first emerged. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was Hans Wenderl, who was a resident of the town of Weilheim in 1466. The young Wandel family was instrumental in the development of medieval Swabian society, and quickly became one of the prominent families of the region.
Early History of the Wandel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wandel research. Another 110 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1466, 1515, 1645, 1709, 1739, 1774, and 1800 are included under the topic Early Wandel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wandel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wendel, Wandal, Wandel, Wendal, Vandal, Vandel, Vendel and many more.
Early Notables of the Wandel family (pre 1700)
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wandel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wandel migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wandel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Tobias Wandel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753 
Wandel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Augustin Wandel, who settled in Philadelphia in 1819
- Augustin Wandel, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1819 
- Friedrich Wandel, aged 22, who arrived in New York in 1854 
- James H Wandel, who landed in Minnesota in 1879 
- James H. Wandel, who arrived in Minnesota in 1879
Contemporary Notables of the name Wandel (post 1700) +
- Jasper Wandel, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Hudson County, 1872-73 
- Günther Wandel (b. 1902), well-known German writer
- Joachim Wandel, German fighter pilot and flying ace in the Luftwaffe, during World War II, credited with 75 aerial victories, awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html