on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Italian, Portuguese
Where did the Portuguese Vieira family come from? What is the Portuguese Vieira family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vieira family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vieira family history?The Portuguese surname Vieira is derived from a place-name. The name probably arose independently from several different places names including Vieira do Minho, and Vieira de Leiria. The place-name is derived from the Portuguese word "vieira, " which means " escallop" or "shell."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vieira, Vieiras, Viera and others.
First found in the Minho province, North-Western Portugal, where Rui Vieira was a nobleman in the times of kings D. Afonso II and D. Sancho II of Portugal (circa 1220).
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vieira research. Another 45 words(3 lines of text) covering the years 1245, 1608, 1697, 1658, 1661, 1682 and 1745 are included under the topic Early Vieira History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 177 words(13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vieira Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vieira Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joaquim S. Vieira, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1848
- Manuel Vieira, who was on record in California in 1860
- Antonio Vieira, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1867
- Antonio Vieira, who settled in Puerto Rico in 1867
- Vasco Rocha Vieira (b. 1939), Portuguese administrator and army officer, Governor of Macau 1991-99
- Leonel Vieira (b. 1969), Portuguese film director
- Asia Vieira (b. 1982), Canadian actress, known for her role in the 1991 made-for-television Omen IV: The Awakening
- Carlos Adriano de Souza Vieira (b. 1977), Brazilian author
- Luís Filipe Vieira (b. 1949), Portuguese footballer
- Adelino André Vieira de Freitas (b. 1986), commonly known as Vieirinha, a Portuguese footballer
- Alessandro Rosa Vieira (b. 1977), known as Falcão, a Brazilian football and futsal player
- Alice Vieira (b. 1943), Portuguese children's book author
- Álvaro Joaquim de Melo Siza Vieira GOSE, GCIH (b. 1933), Portuguese architect, and architectural educator
- Cláudia Patrícia Figueira Vieira (b. 1978), Portuguese actress, model and television presenter
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 19676. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
The Vieira Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vieira Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 April 2015 at 08:28.
on orders of $85 or more