100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German
The surname Ulrich was first found in Bavaria
, in the city of Nuremburg, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. The name as a first name was associated with many notable figures of the mediaeval period, such as St. Ulrich, bishop of Augsburg, or Ulrich von Lichtenstein (1200-1276,) poet of courtly behavior. By the 14th century the name was firmly grounded as a prominent surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ulrich, Ulrichs, Ullrich, Ulrick, Ulrik, Ullrik, Ullrick, Urich and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ulrich research. Another 208 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1612, 1623, and 1701 are included under the topic Early Ulrich History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 49 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ulrich Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ulrich Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elias and Cristof Ulrich, who emigrated with their families to America in 1709
- Johann Elias Ulrich, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Philip Ulrich, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1732
- Hans Michael Ulrich, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Adam Ulrich, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
Ulrich Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dorothea Ulrich, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- August L Ulrich, who landed in New York in 1820
- Ignacio Ulrich, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1840
- Catherina Ulrich, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Christina Ulrich, who came to Texas in 1846
- Ryan Ulrich, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Washington, 2008
- Robert G. Ulrich, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, 1981-89
- Otto Ulrich, American politician, Member of Nebraska State Senate, 1921
- Mark Burghardt Ulrich, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Louisiana, 2008
- John Ulrich, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Jersey, 1888; Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Union County, 1888-90
- John Ulrich (1871-1943), American Republican politician, Steelworker; Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Ohio County, 1927-32; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from West Virginia, 1932
- J. F. Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oregon, 1940, 1944
- George Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of Hartford, Connecticut, 1894
- Frederick Ulrich, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 17th District, 1913
- Frank J. Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 6th District, 1903-04
- Uhrich, A History and Genealogy by Thomas Vincent Uhrich.
- The Family History of Frederich H. Ulrich by Esther Urich Bender.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Ulrich Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ulrich Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 March 2010 at 08:15.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!