100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German, Swiss
Where did the Swiss Ulrich family come from? What is the Swiss Ulrich family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ulrich family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ulrich family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ulrich, Ulrichs, Ullrich, Ulrick, Ulrik, Ullrik, Ullrick, Urich and many more.
First found in Bavaria, in the city of Nuremburg, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. The name as a first name was associated with many notable figures of the mediaeval period, such as St. Ulrich, bishop of Augsburg, or Ulrich von Lichtenstein (1200-1276,) poet of courtly behavior. By the 14th century the name was firmly grounded as a prominent surname.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ulrich research. Another 208 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1612, 1623, and 1701 are included under the topic Early Ulrich History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 49 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ulrich Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ulrich Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elias and Cristof Ulrich, who emigrated with their families to America in 1709
- Johann Elias Ulrich, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Philip Ulrich, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1732
- Hans Michael Ulrich, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Adam Ulrich, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
Ulrich Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dorothea Ulrich, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- August L Ulrich, who landed in New York in 1820
- Ignacio Ulrich, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1840
- Catherina Ulrich, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Christina Ulrich, who came to Texas in 1846
- Lars Ulrich (b. 1963), Danish-American drummer, one of the founding members of the band Metallica
- Frederick Ulrich, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 17th District, 1913
- Frank J. Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 6th District, 1903-04
- Ella Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Nebraska, 1936
- Edward Ulrich, American Republican politician, Mayor of Cliffside Park, New Jersey, 1952-54
- Catherine B. Ulrich, American Republican politician, Candidate for Maryland State Senate District 6-A, 1970
- Benedict Ulrich, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Essex County, 1892
- Alexander N. Ulrich (1853-1910), American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1904
- Albert L. Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Oneida County 3rd District, 1940
- George Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of Hartford, Connecticut, 1894
- Uhrich, A History and Genealogy by Thomas Vincent Uhrich.
- The Family History of Frederich H. Ulrich by Esther Urich Bender.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Ulrich Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ulrich Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 March 2010 at 08:15.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!