100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Theriault was first found in Champagne
, where this illustrious family was established in early times.
The many different spellings of French surnames can be partially explained by the use of local dialects and by the influence of other languages during the early development of the French language. As a result of these linguistic and cultural influences, the name Theriault is distinguished by a number of regional variations. The many spelling variations of the name include Théry, Thery, Téry, Tery, Terry, Thérieau, Therieau, Térieau, Terieau, Terrieau, Thériau, Theriau, Tériau, Teriau, Terriau, Thériaud, Theriaud, Tériaud, Teriaud, Terriaud, Thériaut, Theriaut, Tériaut, Terriaut, Therriault and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Theriault research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1514, 1669, 1696, 1714, 1720, 1739, 1763, 1772, 1780, 1795, 1805, 1812, 1813, 1816, 1856, and 1864 are included under the topic Early Theriault History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 126 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Theriault Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In 1643, 109 years after the first landings by Cartier, there were only about 300 people in Quebec. Migration was slow. The fur trade attracted migrants, both noble and commoner. By 1675, there were 7000 French in Quebec. By the same year the French Acadian presence in the Maritimes had reached 500. The French founded Lower Canada, thus becoming one of the two great founding nations of Canada. The family name Theriault has made many distinguished contributions in France and New France to the world of science, culture, religion, and education. Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Theriault were
Theriault Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Antoine Theriault, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1755-1768
- Marie Theriault, who landed in Massachusetts in 1755-1768
- Susan Theriault, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1755-1768
Theriault Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edward Theriault, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1917
- J. A. Theriault, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States, in 1919
- Alf Theriault, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1920
- Conrad Theriault, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1920
- Arthur Theriault, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1921
Theriault Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Joseph Theriault, aged 46, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1920
- Charles Kenneth Theriault, American politician, Member of the Maine House of Representatives (2006-2014)
- Marcel Theriault, American Republican politician, Member of New Hampshire State Senate 13th District; Elected 1916
- Élisée Thériault (1884-1958), Canadian politician, Member of the Legislative Council of Quebec for Kennebec (1929-1958)
- Edward Joseph Thériault (1901-1968), Canadian politician, Senator for Nova Scotia, Nova Scotia division in 1968
- Bruno Thériault (1917-2005), Canadian blind piano tuner and former regional administrator for the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, known for having persuaded the Canadian government to incorporate raised numbers in Canadian currency
- Milaine Thériault (b. 1973), Canadian skier
- Eric Thériault (b. 1967), Canadian comic-book artist and writer
- Bernard Thériault (b. 1955), Canadian politician, Minister of Intergovernmental and Aboriginal Affairs (1998-1999)
- Denis Thériault (b. 1959), Canadian writer
- Yves Thériault OC (1915-1983), Canadian author, best known for his work Agaguk, a story of cultural conflict between Inuit and white men, published in 1958
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
This page was last modified on 27 October 2015 at 12:32.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!