on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, English
Where did the English Sturtevant family come from? When did the Sturtevant family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sturtevant family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sturtevant, Sturdivantt, Sturtivantt, Sturtivant, Sturdevant, Sturdivant, Sturtifant, Sturdifant, Sturdyvant, Sturdyfant, Sturtevant, Sturdavent and many more.
First found in Nottinghamshire, where they held a family seat from very early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sturtevant research. Another 265 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1570, 1604, and 1685 are included under the topic Early Sturtevant History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Sturtevant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sturtevant Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Sturtevant, who settled in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1642
- Mary Sturtevant, who settled in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1642
- Samuel Sturtevant, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1643
Sturtevant Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- R. Sturtevant went to San Francisco in 1850
- E. Sturtevant, who came to San Francisco in 1851
- B. T. Sturtevant, who came to San Francisco in 1852
- O. B. Sturtevant, who arrived in San Francisco in 1852
- M. Sturtevant, who came to San Francisco in 1860
- Elaine Sturtevant (b. 1930), American artist
- Edgar H. Sturtevant (1875-1952), American linguist
- Butler Sturtevant (1899-1971), American landscape architect
- Albert D. Sturtevant (1894-1918), American naval officer, recipient of the Navy Cross, eponym of USS Sturtevant (DD-240) and the USS Sturtevant (DE-239)
- Alfred Henry Sturtevant (1891-1970), American geneticist, who constructed the first genetic map of a chromosome in 1913, recipient of the National Medal of Science
- Arnold H Sturtevant, American banker
- William Curtis Sturtevant (1926-2007), American anthropologist
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
This page was last modified on 3 December 2015 at 08:51.
on orders of $85 or more