There has been suggestion that the Stradling surname arrived in Britain with the Danes, well before 1066. However, it seems that at least one line of Stradling returned to Britain after 13th century crusades, deriving from Strattligen, Switzerland.
Early Origins of the Stradling family
The surname Stradling was first found in Warwickshire
. Early on, Sir Peter Stradling, who already held Neath Castle, Glamorgan, Wales
, married Joan de Hawey, heiress of St Donat's Castle. He also acquired estates in Somerset
. In some instances, the surname was Latinized Easter Lingus which was corrupted to Estarling. First on record appears to be sir John Stradling (circa 1230-1293).
Early History of the Stradling family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stradling research.Another 107 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1611, 1642, 1529, 1609, 1498, 1571, 1563, 1637, 1608, 1620, 1601, 1644, 1640, 1624, 1660, 1643, 1685, 1672, 1735, 1698, 1700, 1701, 1710, 1722, 1620, 1688 and 1672 are included under the topic Early Stradling History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stradling Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Estarling, Esterling, Easterling, Eastarling and many more.
Early Notables of the Stradling family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the Clan
from early times was Sir Edward Stradling (1529-1609), English scholar and patron of literature, the eldest son of Sir Thomas Stradling (1498?-1571); Sir John Stradling, 1st Baronet
(1563-1637), a British poet, scholar and politician, Sheriff of Glamorgan from 1608 to 1620; Sir Edward Stradling, 2nd Baronet
(1601-1644)... Another 63 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stradling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stradling family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stradling Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ann and David Stradling who settled in Virginia in 1663
- Margaret Stradling, who landed in Maryland in 1665 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Stradling Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Fflorence and Solomon Stradling, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1868
Contemporary Notables of the name Stradling (post 1700)
- Harry Stradling Jr. (1925-2017), American two-time Academy Award nominated cinematographer, son of cinematographer Harry Stradling
- Walter Stradling (1875-1918), English-born, American cinematographer of the silent era, uncle of Harry Stradling
- Harry Stradling Sr. (1901-1970), born Henry A. Stradling, an American cinematographer who had 130 films to his credit, perhaps best known for his work with Alfred Hitchcock on Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941) and Suspicion (1941)
- Geoff Stradling (b. 1955), American pianist, keyboardist, composer, arranger and orchestrator
- Sir Thomas Stradling (1710-1738), 6th Baronet of St Donat's, Glamorgan, British peer
- Richard Anthony "Tony" Stradling (1937-2002), English semiconductor physicist, professor of physics at Imperial College London
- George Stradling (1620-1688), English Dean of Chichester Cathedral
- Ed Stradling (b. 1972), Welsh freelance TV/video producer/director
- Rt. Rev. Leslie Stradling (1909-1998), Bishop of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Sir John Stradling Thomas (1925-1991), Welsh Conservative Party politician
Stradling Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)