on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Rhodes was first found in Prussia
, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rhode, Rhod, Rhodes, Rhhode, Rhhodes, Rhodese, Rhods, Rode and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rhodes research. Another 205 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1700, 1790, 1559 and 1591 are included under the topic Early Rhodes History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rhodes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rhodes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Rhodes, who arrived in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1643
- Africa Rhodes, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
- Elizabeth Rhodes, who landed in Maryland in 1651-1652
- John Rhodes, who landed in Maryland in 1651
- Abraham Rhodes, who landed in Maryland in 1673
Rhodes Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Rhodes settled in Maryland in 1774
- William Rhodes, who arrived in New York in 1789
Rhodes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Rhodes, aged 27, landed in New York in 1812
- Joshua Rhodes, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Mary Rhodes, who arrived in New York in 1845
- Jane Rhodes, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Ellen Rhodes, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Rhodes Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Gilbert Rhodes, who arrived in Victoria, British Columbia in 1862
Rhodes Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Samuel Rhodes, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 17, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Rhodes, English convict from Chester, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 17, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Adam Rhodes, English convict from Staffordshire, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on September 21, 1826, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Thomas Rhodes, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on September 21, 1826, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- J. Rhodes arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
Rhodes Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Richard Rhodes, aged 29, a farm labourer, arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "Lady Nugent" in 1841
- Richard Rhodes, aged 31, a joiner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "George Fyfe" in 1842
- Elizabeth Rhodes, aged 31, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "George Fyfe" in 1842
- Ann Rhodes, aged 4, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "George Fyfe" in 1842
- William Rhodes arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Mermaid" in 1859
- Dusty Rhodes (1945-2015), ring name of Virgil Riley Runnels Jr., an American professional wrestler and trainer, three-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion, inducted into the WWE, WCW, Professional Wrestling, and Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame
- Arthur Lee Rhodes Jr. (b. 1969), American former Major League Baseball left-handed relief pitcher who played from 1991 to 2011
- Richard Lee Rhodes (b. 1937), American journalist, historian, and author awarded the 1988 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction
- Benjamin S. Rhodes (1889-1969), American Republican politician, Mayor of Bloomington, Illinois, 1927-33; Member of Illinois State House of Representatives 26th District, 1939-64
- Augustus L. Rhodes, American politician, Justice of California State Supreme Court, 1864-
- Alec Rhodes, American Democrat politician, Member of Texas State House of Representatives 46th District; Elected unopposed 1994; Elected 1996
- Albert T. Rhodes, American Republican politician, Member of Massachusetts State Senate Second Worcester District, 1923-24
- Albert Rhodes (b. 1840), American politician, U.S. Consul in Jerusalem, 1863-65; Rotterdam, 1866; Rouen, 1877-83; Elberfeld, 1883-85; U.S. Charge d'Affaires to Netherlands, 1866
- Bradford Rhodes, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Westchester County 2nd District, 1888-90
- C. Adrienne Rhodes, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 14th District, 2000
- Mr. John Rhodes (b. 1916), English Steward serving for the Royal Navy from Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, England, who sailed into battle on the HMS Hood and died on 24th May 1941 in the sinking
- Mr. Christopher Caleb Rhodes (b. 1920), English Able Seaman from England, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking
- Carry Me Back-: the History of the Roddens, Rawdens, Rodens, and Allied Families by Paul G. Rodden.
- Rhodes-Barnett and Mitchusson-Ingram by Norma Rhodes Ladd.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Rhodes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rhodes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 December 2015 at 13:39.
on orders of $85 or more