on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Rhodes family come from? What is the German Rhodes family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rhodes family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rhodes family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rhode, Rhod, Rhodes, Rhhode, Rhhodes, Rhodese, Rhods, Rode and many more.
First found in Prussia, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rhodes research. Another 205 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1700, 1790, 1559 and 1591 are included under the topic Early Rhodes History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 59 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rhodes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rhodes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Rhodes, who arrived in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1643
- Africa Rhodes, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
- Elizabeth Rhodes, who landed in Maryland in 1651-1652
- John Rhodes, who landed in Maryland in 1651
- Abraham Rhodes, who landed in Maryland in 1673
Rhodes Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Rhodes settled in Maryland in 1774
- William Rhodes, who arrived in New York in 1789
Rhodes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Rhodes, aged 27, landed in New York in 1812
- Joshua Rhodes, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Mary Rhodes, who arrived in New York in 1845
- Jane Rhodes, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Ellen Rhodes, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Rhodes Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Gilbert Rhodes, who arrived in Victoria, British Columbia in 1862
Rhodes Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Samuel Rhodes, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 17, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Rhodes, English convict from Chester, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 17, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Adam Rhodes, English convict from Staffordshire, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on September 21, 1826, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Thomas Rhodes, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on September 21, 1826, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- J. Rhodes arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
Rhodes Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Richard Rhodes, aged 29, a farm labourer, arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "Lady Nugent" in 1841
- Richard Rhodes, aged 31, a joiner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "George Fyfe" in 1842
- Elizabeth Rhodes, aged 31, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "George Fyfe" in 1842
- Ann Rhodes, aged 4, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "George Fyfe" in 1842
- William Rhodes arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Mermaid" in 1859
- Colonel Francis William "Frank" Rhodes CB, DSO (1851-1905), British Army Colonel in Africa
- Ida Rhodes (1900-1986), American mathematician and pioneer in the analysis of systems of programming
- Cynthia Rhodes (b. 1956), American actress, singer and dancer
- Richard Lee Rhodes (b. 1937), American journalist, historian, and author awarded the 1988 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction
- Arthur Lee Rhodes Jr. (b. 1969), American former Major League Baseball left-handed relief pitcher who played from 1991 to 2011
- Lance-Sergeant John Harold Rhodes VC, DCM & Bar (1891-1917), English recipient of the Victoria Cross and the Croix De Guerre
- Christopher Rhodes (1914-1964), English film and television actor
- Nick Rhodes (b. 1962), English keyboardist and founding member of the rock band Duran Duran
- Zandra Rhodes CBE, RDI (b. 1940), English fashion designer
- Teddy Tahu Rhodes (b. 1966), New Zealand operatic baritone
- Carry Me Back-: the History of the Roddens, Rawdens, Rodens, and Allied Families by Paul G. Rodden.
- Rhodes-Barnett and Mitchusson-Ingram by Norma Rhodes Ladd.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Rhodes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rhodes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2014 at 11:17.
on orders of $85 or more