Plata History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished surname Plata lie in Germany, and chronicles claim two different origins for this name. Some sources suggest the origin is found in the mediaeval German word for the maker of breast plates for armor. Other sources claim the name stems from the German word for "plateau."
Early Origins of the Plata family
The surname Plata was first found in Brandenburg, where the name was an integral part of a feudal society which would shape modern European history. Many prominent branches of the family would strive to make this name renowned as they contributed to the social, economic and political affairs of the region. One of the earliest known bearers of this name was the knight Otto cum Plata ("breast plate",) who lived at Ruegen around 1255.
Platten is an Ortsgemeinde (municipality) in the Bernkastel-Wittlich district in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany that dates back to at least 1084 when it was first listed as "villa Platana."
Early History of the Plata family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Plata research. Another 277 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1190, 1565, 1604, 1563, 1669, 1536, 1614, 1574, 1628, 1796 and 1835 are included under the topic Early Plata History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Plata Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Plath, Plathe, Plather, Plate, Plat, Plater, Platt, Platter, Platten, Platen, Platener, Platner, Plattener, Pletener, Plettener, Plaettner, Plaetner, Plaeth, Plathner, Plett, Pletter, Pletten, Pleten, Pleter, Plettner, Blate, Blatte, Blatten, Blath and many more.
Early Notables of the Plata family (pre 1700)
Notable figures of the time with the name Plata were Thomas Platter, who was a prominent humanist from Basel. He began as an Alpine goatherder, then journeyed through Germany on foot and became a printer...
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Plata Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Plata is the 11,323rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Plata migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Plata Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Diego Plata, who arrived in America in 1817 
- Serapio DeLa Plata, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1841 
- William Plata, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Plata (post 1700) +
- Francisco Plata Bermudez (b. 1915), Colombian lawyer and politician
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)