on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Dutch Ostrander family come from? When did the Ostrander family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ostrander family history?The distinguished surname Ostrander is of Dutch origin, and can be literally translated as "from the east border." The name may have been originally borne by one who lived near the eastern border of a town, province, or country.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ostrander, Oostrander, Oestrander, Ooster and others.
First found in Holland, where the ancestral home of the Ostrander family is thought to be located.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ostrander research. Another 346 words (25 lines of text) covering the years 1654 and 1657 are included under the topic Early Ostrander History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ostrander Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ostrander Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Pieter Pietersen Ostrander, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664
Ostrander Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J Ostrander, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- F. Ostrander, aged 28, who arrived in America from London, in 1894
- On Ostrander, who landed in Colorado in 1896
- Urr Ostrander, who landed in Colorado in 1896
Ostrander Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- L.B. Ostrander, aged 38, who arrived in America, in 1905
- A. I. Ostrander, aged 53, who arrived in America, in 1906
- Henriette Ostrander, aged 42, who arrived in America, in 1907
- Charles F. Ostrander, who arrived in America, in 1909
- Susie Ostrander, who arrived in America, in 1910
- Brigadier-General Lester Smith Ostrander (1895-1965), American Director of Publications Division, Office of the Adjutant-General (1945)
- Rick Ostrander, American provost at Cornerstone University
- Isabel Egenton Ostrander (1883-1924), American mystery writer
- Arthur Frederick Ostrander Sr. (1895-1978), American assistant to the scientist and inventor George Poe
- Josh Ostrander, American singer-songwriter
- Thomas Clinton "T. C." Ostrander (b. 1985), American football quarterback
- John Ostrander (b. 1949), American writer of comic books
- Elisha Ostrander, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Sullivan and Ulster counties, 1818-19
- Cash Orville Ostrander (b. 1955), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nebraska, 2004, 2008 (alternate)
- F. E. Ostrander, American politician, Mayor of Tempe, Arizona, 1932-34
- Ostrander Family Vital Records: Births, Baptisms and Marriages of the Ostrander Family in New York State and Nearby from 1600 by Barbara Dahl.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
- De Amicis, Edmondo and Helen Zimmern. Holland. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1894. Print.
- De Jong, Gerald Francis. The Dutch in America 1609-1974. New York: Twayne, 1975. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
This page was last modified on 24 November 2015 at 20:11.
on orders of $85 or more