100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The distinguished surname Ostrander is of Dutch origin, and can be literally translated as "from the east border." The name may have been originally borne by one who lived near the eastern border of a town, province, or country.
The surname Ostrander was first found in Holland, where the ancestral home of the Ostrander family is thought to be located.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ostrander, Oostrander, Oestrander, Ooster and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ostrander research. Another 346 words (25 lines of text) covering the years 1654 and 1657 are included under the topic Early Ostrander History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ostrander Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ostrander Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Pieter Pietersen Ostrander, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664
Ostrander Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J Ostrander, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- F. Ostrander, aged 28, who arrived in America from London, in 1894
- On Ostrander, who landed in Colorado in 1896
- Urr Ostrander, who landed in Colorado in 1896
Ostrander Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- L.B. Ostrander, aged 38, who arrived in America, in 1905
- A. I. Ostrander, aged 53, who arrived in America, in 1906
- Henriette Ostrander, aged 42, who arrived in America, in 1907
- Charles F. Ostrander, who arrived in America, in 1909
- Susie Ostrander, who arrived in America, in 1910
Ostrander Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Antonius Ostrander U.E., (Anthoney Thunis) (b. 1736) from Rensselaer County, New York, USA who died before arriving in Canada c. 1777 he died in action, his wife Elizabeth Anna née Proper and 6 children came to Canada
- Mr. Andrew Ostrander U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
- Brigadier-General Lester Smith Ostrander (1895-1965), American Director of Publications Division, Office of the Adjutant-General (1945)
- Rick Ostrander, American provost at Cornerstone University
- Isabel Egenton Ostrander (1883-1924), American mystery writer
- Arthur Frederick Ostrander Sr. (1895-1978), American assistant to the scientist and inventor George Poe
- Josh Ostrander, American singer-songwriter
- Thomas Clinton "T. C." Ostrander (b. 1985), American football quarterback
- John Ostrander (b. 1949), American writer of comic books
- Elisha Ostrander, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Sullivan and Ulster counties, 1818-19
- Cash Orville Ostrander (b. 1955), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nebraska, 2004, 2008 (alternate)
- F. E. Ostrander, American politician, Mayor of Tempe, Arizona, 1932-34
- Ostrander Family Vital Records: Births, Baptisms and Marriages of the Ostrander Family in New York State and Nearby from 1600 by Barbara Dahl.
- De Amicis, Edmondo and Helen Zimmern. Holland. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1894. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Tapper, Michael Ed. Immigrants to the Middle Colonies A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from The New York Genealogical Biographical Record. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- De Jong, Gerald Francis. The Dutch in America 1609-1974. New York: Twayne, 1975. Print.
This page was last modified on 2 March 2016 at 14:44.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!