100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch
The Mulder family name has long been found in region known today as the Netherlands
. It is unclear whether the name moved to the region from Germany
, or arose independently in Holland. Mulder is an occupational
name for a miller, derived from the Old Germanic "Mulinari."
The surname Mulder was first found in Southern Germany
, where they were established in the Middle Ages. The name is the German form of the Latin name "Molinarius," "Mulinari" in Old German. The modern form of the name, Mueller, is documented early on in the chronicles of Swabia, wherein the knight Conrad von Husen is noted as having become known as Mueller for his ownership of a mill.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mueller, Muller, Mueler, Muler, Miller, Moeller, Moller, Muellner, Milner, Molner, Molenauer, Molenaar and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mulder research. Another 475 words (34 lines of text) covering the years 1693, 1670, 1752, 1807, 1610, 1668, 1630 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Mulder History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mulder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mulder Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Cornelis Stevens Mulder, aged 21, arrived in New York in 1660
- Joshua Mulder, who landed in Virginia in 1673
Mulder Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Balthasar Mulder, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1787
Mulder Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Clara Mulder, aged 4, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Aaltje J Mulder, aged 55, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Agathe Mulder, aged 28, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Gertrude Mulder, aged 43, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Lucas Mulder, aged 48, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Grant R. Mulder, Major General in the United States Air Force
- Dave W. Mulder (b. 1939), American politician, Iowa State Senator
- Tyler Mulder (b. 1987), American track and field athlete
- Mark Alan Mulder (b. 1977), American retired left-handed starting pitcher in Major League Baseball
- Richard Mulder (b. 1938), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 2004
- Leland E. Mulder (b. 1925), American Democrat politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly from La Crosse County 2nd District; Defeated, 1956; Elected 1958; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Wisconsin 3rd District, 1986
- John B. Mulder, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1908
- Enrique Mulder (b. 1856), American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Vigo, 1897-98, 1900-16
- Eldon Mulder, American Republican politician, Member of Alaska State House of Representatives 23rd District, 2001
- Benjamin A. Mulder, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1900 (alternate), 1936
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
The Mulder Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mulder Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 January 2016 at 10:24.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!