Moreira History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Moreira is a patronymic surname, created from the personal name Mauro, which is itself derived from the Latin name Maurus. Patronymic surnames were created from the name of the bearer's father or relative, and gradually during the Middle Ages, these names became fixed hereditary surnames.
Early Origins of the Moreira family
The surname Moreira was first found in Modena (Etruscan: Mutna; Latin: Mutina; Modenese: Mòdna), around the year 1179.
Important Dates for the Moreira family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Moreira research. Another 30 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1050, 1375, 1639, 1636, 1677 and 1735 are included under the topic Early Moreira History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Moreira Spelling Variations
Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms in comparison with other European surnames because they reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each of which has its distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the most standard Italian surname suffix is "I", whereas in Southern Italy the most typical surname suffix is "O". Sardinian is very different from other forms of Italian and in fact, it is considered to be its own distinct language. Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes, church officials, and the bearers of names, spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. As a consequence of the major changes in the Italian language and in the local spellings of Italian surnames that occurred over the course of history, there are numerous variations for the surname Moreira. These spelling variations include Moro, Moras, Morasco, Morassi, Morasso, Morassut, Morassutti, Moratelli, Morati, Moratti, Moratto, Morazzi, Morero, Moreschi, Moraschi, Moresi, Moret, Moretti, Moretto, Morin, Morini, Morino, Moriotti, Moriotto, Morozzi, Morisco, Moresco, Morisi, Mori, Morimanno, Moroni, Morucchio, Morucci and many more.
Early Notables of the Moreira family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Giacomo Morattinni who compiled volumes of statutory laws and legislation made from the year 1050 to 1375 in the region of Forli and Siena. Later, in the 17th century, Antonio Morelli was a member...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Moreira Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Moreira migration to the United States
The records on immigrants and ships' passengers show a number of people bearing the name Moreira:
Typical Moreira Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Moreira Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio Moreira, aged 18, who landed in America, in 1918
- Arthur Moreira, aged 34, who immigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Eduardo Barbosa Moreira, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1918
- E.C. Moreira, aged 22, who landed in America, in 1919
- Augustin Moreira, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Moreira (post 1700)
- Rafael Moreira, Brazilian American guitarist, vocalist, songwriter and producer
- Wilson Moreira (1936-2018), Brazilian sambista, singer and songwriter
- António Leal Moreira (1758-1819), Portuguese composer and organist
- Ricardo Ariel Moreira (b. 1983), Argentine footballer
- Juarez Moreira (b. 1954), Brazilian guitarist and composer
- Paul Moreira (b. 1961), French journalist and documentary film maker
- Pablo Javier Moreira (b. 1970), field hockey goalkeeper from Argentina
- Leticia Costas Moreira, professional Spanish tennis player
- André Luiz Moreira (b. 1974), Brazilian footballer
- Ruben Moreira (1922-1984), Puerto Rican comic book artist and writer
- ... (Another 11 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like