on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: French, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Marquez family come from? What is the Spanish Marquez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Marquez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Marquez family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Marquez. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Márquez, Marquez, Marque, Márquiz, Marquiz, Marco and many more.
First found in Castile, predominant among the Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Marquez research. Another 371 words (26 lines of text) covering the year 1026 is included under the topic Early Marquez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Marquez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Juan Márquez, who arrived with his wife in America in 1511
- Catalina Márquez, who arrived in America in 1517
- Lope Márquez, who settled in Cartagena in 1534
- Domingo Márquez, who settled in Río de la Plata in 1535
- Inés Márquez, who opted for New Spain in 1536
Marquez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Luis Marquez, who landed in America in 1813
- Pedro Marquez, who landed in America in 1813
- Jose Marquez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1816
- José Márquez, who opted for Puerto Rico in 1816
- Antonio Marquez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1816
- Leon Andrew Marquez (b. 1874), American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Puntarenas, 1904-11
- Jorge A. Marquez, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2008
- John E. Marquez, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1988; Candidate for Mayor of Richmond, California, 2001
- Joanne Trudell Marquez, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State House of Representatives 101st District, 1974
- Jim J. Marquez, American politician, U.S. Attorney for Kansas, 1981-84
- Debbie Marquez, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2000, 2008; Member of Democratic National Committee from Colorado, 2008
- B. G. Marquez, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Mexico, 1940
- Awilda R. Marquez, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2008
- Alma V. Marquez, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2008
- Alfredo Chavez Marquez (b. 1922), American politician, U.S. District Judge for Arizona, 1980
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Marquez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Marquez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 November 2015 at 15:37.
on orders of $85 or more