on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Kummer family come from? What is the German Kummer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kummer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kummer family history?The Kummer surname comes from the Middle High German "kummer," or "kumber," meaning "grief," "distress," or "trouble;" as such, it may have evolved from a nickname for someone who had suffered a loss or misfortune. "Kummer" is also slang word for a penitentiary, and it is possible that in some instances the surname may have arisen as nickname for a prisoner or jailer. There are also places named Kummer in Germany.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kummer, Kummerling, Kummerle, Kimmerle and many more.
First found in Augsburg, an imperial free city in Southern Germany, where an Ulrich Chumber was found in 1288.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kummer research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1329, 1780, 1797, 1852, 1864, and 1879 are included under the topic Early Kummer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kummer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kummer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Kummer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Michael Kummer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753
Kummer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Saml Wm Kummer, aged 12, landed in Pennsylvania in 1804
- John Christ Kummer, aged 33, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- John Dan Kummer, aged 31, landed in Pennsylvania in 1804
- John F Kummer, aged 4, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- John Geo Kummer, aged 16, landed in Pennsylvania in 1804
- William A. Kummer, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County 15th District, 1955-58
- Jacob Kummer, American politician, Postmaster at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 1841-45
- Edward H. Kummer, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Hamden
- Adolph Kummer, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1924
- Clarence Kummer (1899-1930), American jockey, member of the U.S. Racing Hall of Fame
- Mario Kummer (b. 1962), German, track and road racing cyclist, a gold medal winner at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea
- Paul Kummer (1834-1912), German, priest, teacher, and scientist known for his taxonomy of fungi
- Ernst Eduard Kummer (1810-1893), German mathematician
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
The Kummer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kummer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 October 2015 at 14:15.
on orders of $85 or more