100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German, Jewish
The origin of the proud surname Krause can be traced to the historic kingdom of Bohemia, which today encompasses the Czech republic. The name is derived from the Upper German word "Kraus," meaning "curly."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Krauss, Krausse, Kraus, Krause, Krausser, Krauser, Crauss, Crausse, Craus and many more.
First found in Bohemia, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Krause research. Another 367 words (26 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1792, 1792, 1861, 1855, 1671, 1787, 1816, 1655, 1719, 1737, 1806, 1756, 1792, 1781 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Krause History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 109 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Krause Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Krause Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christiana B Krause, who landed in New York, NY in 1743
- Christina B Krause, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Matthaeus Krause, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Matthew Krause, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Rosina Krause, who landed in New York, NY in 1749
Krause Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Leberecht Friedrich Ehregott Krause, aged 34, arrived in America in 1838
- Wilhelmine Krause, aged 25, landed in America in 1839
- Dorothea Sophia Krause, aged 56, landed in America in 1839
- Elisabeth, Johannes, Margarete, and William Krause came to Baltimore in 1840
- Hanna Luise Wilhelmine Krause, aged 33, landed in America in 1843
Krause Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Phillip Krause, aged 22, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Bob Krause (1945-2015), American academic, Vice President for Institutional Advancement at Kansas State University from from 1986 to 2009
- William H. Krause, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Wisconsin State Senate 24th District, 1936
- William Krause, American politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1912
- Virginia B. Krause, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Florida, 1964
- Victor Krause (b. 1935), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives 90th District, 1983-90; Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 32nd District, 1985
- Thaddeus S. Krause, American Republican politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Senate 8th District, 1923-34
- Stanley W. Krause, American politician, Mayor of Mineola, New York, 1959, 1965
- Maxwell Krause, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1944
- Matt Krause, American Republican politician, Member of Texas State House of Representatives 93rd District; elected 2012
- John H. Krause Sr., American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Wisconsin, 2000
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Krause Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Krause Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 February 2016 at 21:33.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!