100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Gearhart family come from? When did the Gearhart family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gearhart family history?The historic kingdom of Bohemia, enclosed by mountains and the celebrated Bohemian forest, is the noble birthplace of the name Gearhart.German surnames developed at a time when most of Bohemia, and most of the German provinces, were states of the Holy Roman Empire. Fairly general principles guided the development of hereditary surnames in Bohemia. Two of the common types of family names found in the Prussia are patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The surname Gearhart derived from the Old German personal name Gerhard, which means spear-brave.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gerhardt, Gearhart, Gearhardt, Gerhart, Gearhard, Gerhard, Gerheart, Gearheart, Gerard and many more.
First found in Bohemia, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gearhart research. Another 201 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1629, 1582, 1637, 1698, 1765, 1726, 1736, 1607 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Gearhart History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 97 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gearhart Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gearhart Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Leonard Gearhart, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1832
- Jacob Gearhart, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1838
- Ch. Gearhart, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Gearhart Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Lillian Gearhart, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1903
- Grace S. Gearhart, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1904
- James K. Gearhart, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1904
- George Gearhart, aged 31, who settled in America, in 1907
- May Gearhart, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Lloyd William "Gary" Gearhart (1923-2001), American Major League Baseball outfielder for the New York Giants in 1947
- G. David Gearhart (b. 1952), American academic, 5th Chancellor of the University of Arkansas (2008-)
- Sally Miller Gearhart (b. 1931), American teacher, feminist, science fiction writer, and political activist
- Bertrand Wesley "Bud" Gearhart (1890-1955), American lawyer and politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from California (1935-1949)
- Devon Gearhart (b. 1995), American teen actor
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
This page was last modified on 31 May 2015 at 00:24.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!