on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
Where did the Portuguese Ferreira family come from? What is the Portuguese Ferreira family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ferreira family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ferreira family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ferrara, Ferrera, Ferrari, Ferraro, Ferreri, Ferreria, Ferrer, Ferrera, Ferrero, Ferreira, Herrera, Ferrarius, Ferriere, Ferrieres, Ferrea, Ferrarese, Ferraresi, Farreras, Farrera, Farreres, Ferri, Fierro, Hiero, Fer, Ferretti, Ferrettini, Ferretto, Ferrettino, Ferrin, Ferrini, Ferrino, Ferrucci, Ferruzzi, Ferrulli, Ferrotti, Ferroli, Ferroni, Ferron, Ferrone and many more.
First found in Portugal, where the surname Ferreira was most likely used initially as an occupational name for a blacksmith. Such a heritage is demonstrated by the coat of arms of one branch of this family that features fourteen iron cauldrons and the crest of another branch that features an ostrich with a horseshoe in its beak.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ferreira research. Another 271 words(19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ferreira History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 93 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ferreira Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ferreira Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Ferreira, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1802
- Juan DeDios Ferreira, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1852
- Jose Ferreira, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1854
- R Ferreira, aged 23, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1854
- Joaquin Ferreira, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1860
Ferreira Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adelina Ferreira, aged 44, who emigrated to the United States from St. Michael's, Portugal, in 1906
- Adelino N. Ferreira, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Frossos, Portugal, in 1907
- Agostinho Ferreira, aged 23, who settled in America from Porto Mor, Portugal, in 1911
- Abel Tavares Ferreira, aged 24, who settled in America from Gouvcia, Portugal, in 1911
- Alberto Ferreira, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Nasbainhos, Portugal, in 1911
- Sky Ferreira (b. 1992), American model, singer, songwriter, and actress
- Benign Ferreira, Paraguayan statesman
- António Ferreira (1528-1569), Portuguese poet
- Benigno Assuncion Ferreira (1846-1920), President of Paraguay
- Manuel Jesualdo Ferreira (b. 1946), Portuguese football manager
- Aluísio "Lula" Elias Ferreira Xavier (b. 1951), Brazilian basketball coach
- Peter M. Ferreira (b. 1970), Portuguese Concert Violinist
- Aluízio Ferreira (1897-1980), Brazilian politician
- Anne Ferreira (b. 1961), French politician
- Aurélio Buarque de Holanda Ferreira (1910-1989), Brazilian dictionarist and writer
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Guiseppi, Montague Spencer, edition. Naturalizations of Foreign Protestants in the American and West Indian Colonies. Mancester, England: The Huguenot Soceity of London, 1921. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Diccionario Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones 4 Volumes. 2001. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Ferreira Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ferreira Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 December 2014 at 21:46.
on orders of $85 or more