100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Irish, Italian, Spanish
Spelling variations of this family name include: Este, Estes, d'Estes, Destes and others.
First found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. History dates the city back to 753. It was at war with Venice in 1471. It is a walled city and notable is the Church of S.Cristoforo. Knitted goods and shawls are made. This very distinguished family held seats in Ferrara, Padova and Modena as early as 972. Castle d'Este was begun at an early date. The Marchese d'Este was the first of the line.In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Estes research. Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1288, 1344, 1415, 1395, 1415, 1474, 1539, 1479, 1520, 1509, 1572, 1476, 1534, 1531, 1607, 1413, 1471, 1450, 1591, 1644, 1628, 1629, 1610 and 1658 are included under the topic Early Estes History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 509 words (36 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Estes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Estes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Matthew Estes, who arrived in New Hampshire in 1676
Estes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jean Estes, who came to New York in 1832
- Jane Estes, who arrived in New York, NY in 1832
- Elisabethe Estes, who settled in New York in 1832
- Cretiers Estes, who settled in New York in 1832
- J. M. Estes, who settled in New Orleans in 1850
Estes Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louisa Estes, who arrived in Kansas in 1900
Estes Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Estes, who came to Ontario in 1871
- Will Estes (b. 1978), born William Estes Nipper, an American actor best known for his role as JJ Pryor, on the television show American Dreams
- Joel Estes, American who founded the community of Estes Park, Colorado in 1859
- William Kaye Estes (1919-2011), American psychologist
- Vernon "Vern" Estes (b. 1930), American founder of Estes Industries, the model rocket production company in Penrose, Colorado
- Simon Estes (b. 1938), African-American operatic bass-baritone
- Aaron Shawn Estes (b. 1973), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Patrick Brion Estes (b. 1983), American NFL football offensive tackle
- Addie G. Estes, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1924
- Charles Estes, American politician, Mayor of Augusta, Georgia, 1870-76
- Craig Estes, American Republican politician, Member of Texas State Senate 30th District; Elected 2002, 2004; Elected unopposed 2008; Elected 2012
- Carey-Estes Genealogy by May Folk Webb.
- The Estes Family of Virginia, Southern Kentucky, Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas and Their Ancestor Families-Yates, Marshall, Stockton by Lucille Alexander.
- Di Crollalanza, Goffredo. Enciclopedia araldico cavalleresca Prontuario nobiliare. Pisa: Presso La Direzione Del Giorale Araldica , 1878. Print.
- Colletta, John P. Finding Italian Roots The Complete Guide for Americans. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2003. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Guelfi Camajani, Piero. Dizionario Araldico 1940 Reprint Arnoaldo Forni. Milan: 1978. Print.
The Estes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Estes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 March 2016 at 09:49.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!