Esterline History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
There has been suggestion that the Esterline surname arrived in Britain with the Danes, well before 1066. However, it seems that at least one line of Esterline returned to Britain after 13th century crusades, deriving from Strattligen, Switzerland.
Early Origins of the Esterline family
The surname Esterline was first found in Warwickshire. Early on, Sir Peter Stradling, who already held Neath Castle, Glamorgan, Wales, married Joan de Hawey, heiress of St Donat's Castle. He also acquired estates in Somerset and Dorset. In some instances, the surname was Latinized Easter Lingus which was corrupted to Estarling. First on record appears to be sir John Stradling (circa 1230-1293).
Early History of the Esterline family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Esterline research. Another 107 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1611, 1642, 1529, 1609, 1498, 1571, 1563, 1637, 1608, 1620, 1601, 1644, 1640, 1624, 1660, 1643, 1685, 1672, 1735, 1698, 1700, 1701, 1710, 1722, 1620, 1688 and 1672 are included under the topic Early Esterline History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Esterline Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Estarling, Esterling, Easterling, Eastarling and many more.
Early Notables of the Esterline family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the Clan from early times was Sir Edward Stradling (1529-1609), English scholar and patron of literature, the eldest son of Sir Thomas Stradling (1498?-1571); Sir John Stradling, 1st Baronet (1563-1637), a British poet, scholar and politician, Sheriff of Glamorgan from 1608 to 1620; Sir Edward Stradling, 2nd Baronet (1601-1644), a Welsh politician, Member of Parliament...
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Esterline Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Esterline migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Esterline Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Blackburn Esterline, aged 43, arrived in New York in 1920 aboard the ship "Saint Paul" from Southampton, England 
Contemporary Notables of the name Esterline (post 1700) +
- Jacob Donald "Jake" Esterline (1920-1999), American CIA project director for the Bay of Pigs Invasion
- John Esterline, American electrical engineer and former head of the electrical engineering department at Purdue University, founder of Esterline Technologies Corporation in 1906, now with over 12,000 empolyees worldwide
- Charles S. Esterline, American politician, Mayor of Kirksville, Missouri, 1973 
- Albert E. Esterline, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Maine 4th District, 1916 
Related Stories +
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6CH-T4C : 6 December 2014), Blackburn Esterline, 21 Sep 1920; citing departure port Southampton, arrival port New York, ship name Saint Paul, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 30) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html