The distinguished Spanish surname Cammarata is of locative origin, being based on a physical or geographic feature found in the vicinity of the eponymous bearer's place of abode. In this case, the Spanish word "camara" means "granary or barn," and the surname would indicate that the original bearer lived beside a granary. In the feudal
manors and estates of the Middle Ages, the granary would have been used by the lord's extensive household, and would have been a local
Early Origins of the Cammarata family
The surname Cammarata was first found in the province of Galicia
in the northwestern region of the Iberian peninsula. However, like many locative surnames, Cammarata arose independently in various parts of Spain
. Records show that a branch of the family had its ancestral home in the Valley of Ayala, in Amurrio (Alava).
Early History of the Cammarata family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cammarata research.Another 138 words (10 lines of text) covering the year 1576 is included under the topic Early Cammarata History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cammarata Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Camára, Camarillo, Camarino, Camarero, Cambra, Lacambra, Cammarata, Camarena and many more.
Early Notables of the Cammarata family (pre 1700)
Con la Reconquista guerra con la que los cristianos bajo las órdenes del rey Fernando y la reina Isabel reconquistaron a España y expulsaron a los musulmanes invasores en el año 1492. Dentro de estos... Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cammarata Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cammarata family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cammarata Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Filippo Cammarata of Palermo, who arrived at New Orleans on Nov. 6, 1882
- Giovanni Cammarata, who arrived at New York on May 24, 1884 aboard the "Alesia"
- Agostino Cammarata, who arrived in America on Dec. 1, 1884 aboard the "Waesland"
- Concetta Cammarata, who arrived in New York on Jan. 22, 1889 aboard the "Iniziativa"
Contemporary Notables of the name Cammarata (post 1700)
- Taylor Cammarata (b. 1995), American ice hockey forward, USHL Rookie of the Year (2011-2012), Dave Tyler Junior Player of the Year Award (2013)
- Blacey Cammarata, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1988 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
Cammarata Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html