From the ancient and picturesque Italian region of Lombardy
emerged a variety of distinguished names, including the notable surname Calvano. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most traditional type of family name found in the region of Lombardy
is the patronymic
surname, which is derived from the father's given name, local
surnames are also found. Local
names, which are the least frequent of the major types of surnames found in Italy, are derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signifies emigration from one place to another, but does not necessarily denote nobility. The Calvano family lived in Milan since the 12th century.
Early Origins of the Calvano family
The surname Calvano was first found in the 12th century, when the Calvelli family lived in Milan.
Early History of the Calvano family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Calvano research. More information is included under the topic Early Calvano History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Calvano Spelling Variations
Surnames that originated in Italy are characterized by an enormous number of spelling variations
. Some of these are derived from regional traditions and dialects. Northern names, for instance, often end in "o", while southern names tend to end in "i". Other variations come from the fact the medieval scribes tended to spell according to the sound of words, rather than any particular set of rules. The recorded variations of Calvano include Calvi, Calvo, Calvelli, Calvèlli, Calvello, Calvèllo, Calvento, Calvetti, Calvètti, Calviètti, Calvietti, Calvini, Calvino, Calvillo, Calvani, Calvano, Calvanelli, Calvanèlli, Calvagno, Calvagna, Calveri, Calvèri, Calvosa and many more.
Early Notables of the Calvano family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this family in early times was Antonio Calvi of Rome who lived during the 14th century and was a lawyer. In 1405 he was made a Cardinal of the city. Antonio Calvi of Rome was Bishop of Imola in 1390 and then of Todi in 1396, and... Another 126 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Calvano Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Calvano family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first North American settlers with Calvano name or one of its variants:
Calvano Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Calvano, aged 23, who emigrated to America, in 1896
- Anna Maria Calvano, aged 50, who settled in America from Alfedaino, in 1898
Calvano Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Berardno Calvano, aged 11, who emigrated to the United States from Atfedesea, Italy, in 1904
- Antonetta Calvano, aged 28, who landed in America from Limatola, in 1905
- Domenico Calvano, aged 32, who landed in America from Carpino, Italy, in 1907
- Eliadoro Calvano, aged 42, who settled in America from Naples, Italy, in 1908
- Custode Calvano, aged 71, who emigrated to the United States from Bitando, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Calvano (post 1700)
- Sadie Calvano (b. 1997), American actress, best known for her role as Violet Plunkett on the CBS sitcom Mom
- Anthony Calvano (b. 1982), American professional soccer player who has played since 2005
- Simone Calvano (b. 1993), Italian professional footballer
- Joseph Calvano, Canadian co-founder of Dollar Tree Stores Canada, Inc. in 2001
- Tiago Coelho Branco Calvano (b. 1981), known as Tiago, a Brazilian footballer
Calvano Family Crest Products