Breunig History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Breunig is a ancient German name that originated in the Rhineland. While the Germans at first used only one name, population increases created confusion among people of the same name, forcing them to adopt hereditary surnames. Two common types of German names are patronymic names, taken from the given name of the father, and metronymic names, taken from the name of the mother. Breunig was derived from the baptismal name for the son of Bruno, which was originally derived from the Old German word bruen, which means brown.
Early Origins of the Breunig family
The surname Breunig was first found in the Rhineland, where the name Breuning contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation, and later played a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. Over time, the family name branched into many houses, where members continued to play a significant role in the local social and political affairs.
Important Dates for the Breunig family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Breunig research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1757 is included under the topic Early Breunig History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Breunig Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Breuning, Breunning, Breuninge, Bruning, Brunning, Bruninge, Brunninger, Bruninger, Bruningher and many more.
Early Notables of the Breunig family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Breunig Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Breunig migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Breunig Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Breunig Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Breunig, who arrived in St. Clair County, Illinois in 1857
- Peter Breunig, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857 
Contemporary Notables of the name Breunig (post 1700)
- Robert Paul Breunig (b. 1953), former American NFL football linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys
- Max Breunig (1888-1961), German footballer and captain of the National team at the 1912 Summer Olympics
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)