on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Bohan family come from? What is the Irish Bohan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bohan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bohan family history?The Bohan surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Ó Buadhacháin, which comes from the word "buadhach," meaning "victorious."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bohan, O'Bohan, Bohane, Bohannon, Boughan, Bohane, Bowen and many more.
First found in County Cork, where Irish Fiants show the earliest records of this surname.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bohan research. Another 208 words (15 lines of text) covering the year 1659 is included under the topic Early Bohan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bohan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bohan Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Bohan, who arrived in South Carolina in 1755
Bohan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Bohan, who landed in America in 1806
- Matthew Bohan, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- James Bohan, who landed in America in 1852
- Michael Bohan, who arrived in America in 1854
- Lawrence Bohan, who arrived in America in 1854
Bohan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Bohan, aged 15, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Catharine Bohan, aged 12, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Margaret Bohan, aged 10, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Michael Bohan, aged 29, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Ellen Bohan, aged 27, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Thomas Bohan, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 14th District, 1878-80
- Owen W. Bohan (b. 1880), American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly, 1906-07, 1909
- Michael J. Bohan, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oregon, 1996, 2000, 2004; Presidential Elector for Oregon, 2012
- John R. Bohan, American Democrat politician, Member of Wisconsin State Senate, 1863-64
- Edward "Eddie" Joseph Bohan (b. 1932), Irish former politician, member of the Fianna Fáil party
- Daniel Joseph Bohan (1941-2016), Canadian prelate of the Catholic Church, Archbishop of the Regina Archdiocese (2005-2016)
- Mr. James Bohan, Canadian 1st Class Passenger from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking
- Jim Bohan (b. 1919), former Australian rules footballer
- Marc Bohan (b. 1926), French fashion designer
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Bohan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bohan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 November 2015 at 07:20.
on orders of $85 or more