on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Bohan family come from? What is the Irish Bohan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bohan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bohan family history?The Bohan surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Ó Buadhacháin, which comes from the word "buadhach," meaning "victorious."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bohan, O'Bohan, Bohane, Bohannon, Boughan, Bohane, Bowen and many more.
First found in County Cork, where Irish Fiants show the earliest records of this surname.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bohan research. Another 208 words(15 lines of text) covering the year 1659 is included under the topic Early Bohan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bohan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bohan Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Bohan, who arrived in South Carolina in 1755
Bohan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Bohan, who landed in America in 1806
- Matthew Bohan, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- James Bohan, who landed in America in 1852
- Michael Bohan, who arrived in America in 1854
- Lawrence Bohan, who arrived in America in 1854
Bohan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Bohan, aged 15, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Catharine Bohan, aged 12, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Margaret Bohan, aged 10, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Michael Bohan, aged 29, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Ellen Bohan, aged 27, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Independence" from Kinsale
- Edward "Eddie" Joseph Bohan (b. 1932), Irish former politician, member of the Fianna Fáil party
- The Most Reverend Daniel J. Bohan (b. 1941), Canadian Catholic clergyman, Archbishop of the Regina Archdiocese (2005-)
- Marc Bohan (b. 1926), French fashion designer
- Jim Bohan (b. 1919), former Australian rules footballer
- Mr. James Bohan, Canadian 1st Class Passenger from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
The Bohan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bohan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 February 2015 at 06:42.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more